Flash advice?

Expel_Bright

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just need a flash set up including the flash itself, wireless trigger, and light stands!
I want to get good equipment without selling my organs for it. Any advice/recommendations?

I just need a flash set up including the flash itself, wireless trigger, and light stands!
I want to get good equipment without selling my organs for it. Any advice/recommendations?

YongNuo is an off brand company that makes relatively cheap equipment. I have their triggers and 2 of their flashes, and I've never had a problem.

YongNuo RF-602 Wireless Remote Flash Trigger For Nikon - Newegg.com
Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash: Camera & Photo

Trigger+ receiver - and Flash

As for lightstands, you can get impact lightstands with umbrellas for about $100 for a kit.

Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit DFUMK B&H Photo Video

I own all of the equipment mentioned. The lightstands NEED to be sandbagged outdoors. The best thing you can do is fill up a
gallon water jug with sand, and bungee it to the base of the light stands.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a couple yongnuos also. They work good so far.

Organs, you say, huh? Maybe we can work out a deal.....

What kind of lights? Speedlights or studio lights? What is your budget? What type of photography do you intend?

What kind of lights? Speedlights or studio lights? What is your budget? What type of photography do you intend?

I plan on doing car photography. And my budget is under $500-600 I'm only starting out and don't have that much money to work with.

I plan on doing car photography. And my budget is under $500-600 I'm only starting out and don't have that much money to work with.

A 600 watt monolight w/13' stand, a cheap background stand and an 8x10 foot white rip-stop nylon diffuser (sew two or three strips together if you need to- the seam won't show).

A Flashpoint with a battery pack will do nicely. Shoot through the diffuser and move the monolight closer or further back depending on how diffused you want your light, side to side to control the direction.

You might want to get heavier duty 10' light stands and a Monfrotto adjustable bar along with some sand bags to hold down the background stand if you're going to shoot outdoors.

^^^^all that with decent Manfrotto stands right out the gate

A 600 watt monolight w/13' stand, a cheap background stand and an 8x10 foot white rip-stop nylon diffuser (sew two or three strips together if you need to- the seam won't show).

A Flashpoint with a battery pack will do nicely. Shoot through the diffuser and move the monolight closer or further back depending on how diffused you want your light, side to side to control the direction.

You might want to get heavier duty 10' light stands and a Monfrotto adjustable bar along with some sand bags to hold down the background stand if you're going to shoot outdoors.

Only issue with flashpoint - if something goes wrong, adorama does not have staff to repair their monolights, and you have to get it done locally. I believe that is outside of the warrant though.

Mike_E's suggestions are very good. I think in car photography one of the biggest problems is the specular reflections from lights. The large diffuser can be made for not much money, google it. Don't forget the remote trigger to fire the strobe. Make the sandbags, even plastic jugs with some sand can be tied to your light stands.

And a tripod.

Chances are with one light, you may have to take several exposures and make a composite in post to get everything looking the way you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back