flash and camera compatibility?

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have an old minolta auto 360px flash that was my dad's years ago. i was just messing around with it, and found that it works on the hot shoe of my d300. i was somewhat surprised that it works, since it didn't work on my old d40x.

can any harm come from using it this way? since i obviously don't want to mess up my camera in any way (don't care too much bout the flash haha)

Some flashes can send a voltage higher than 5 volts and damage your camera. It was a little irresponsible to test it out on your D300 before doing the research.

I cannot recall the site, but if you do a google, there is a site out there that lists old flashes, their output voltages and compatibility with newer digital equipment.

Good luck! :)

yes, i realize it was a bad decision to try it.

i can't find anything about it working on a nikon, but it sends 5.24 volts to the camera and is completely compatible to work with canon cameras.

do you think i'm safe or should i continue my research

quite a bit, which is why i'm still googling stuff.

what is the maximum safe voltage though?

You have me now... I am not sure. I would think it is something between 2-4 volts? That's a complete guess and if someone has an exact answer, I hope they chime in.

I do know that at 12 volts and up, you will damage things quite easily. Some flashes push over 24 volts or more!

There's an entry in the Nikon technical support FAQs:

"Nikon Digital SLR cameras (D3, D300, D2Xs, D2X, D2Hs, D2H, D1X, D100, D200, D80, D70, D70s, D60, D50, D40X & D40) can be used with third-party studio strobe systems when extra light is needed.
as15.jpg

The strobes are connected to the camera's PC connector (use the AS-15 Adapter on the D100/D80/D70/D70s/D60/D50/D40/D40X to add this necessary connector plug) and will fire when the camera's shutter opens. If a camera has a built in sync terminal, this may be used instead of the AS-15.

D-SLR's require a "tip positive" sync connection to an external strobe units. On some external strobe units the sync polarity is easy to change because they use the "household" type plug. If the strobes do not fire, simply turn the plug around and insert it with the male pin connectors in the other holes. Other types of connectors (such as the standard "phono" plug) are not generally changeable by the user.

Set the camera's shutter speed to the sync speed:

• 1/250th: D3, D300, D2X, D2Xs, D2H, D2Hs, D200
  • 1/500: D50, D40, D40x, D70, D70s
  • 1/180: D100
  • 1/200: D80, D60 or slower and then set the aperture based on the flash units output.
No Program modes ("A" "S" or "P") can be used when using external strobes, as the camera has no way to meter or control external units.
Warning: Negative voltages or voltages over 250 V applied to the camera's sync terminal could not only prevent normal operation, but may damage the sync circuit of the camera or flash. Check with the strobe manufacturer for voltage specifications."

Here is the Nikon tech link. Do a search on 'studio strobe' to find the above.

Note that the AS-15 has no voltage regulation circuitry inside it. The 250 V limit is set by the camera, not the AS-15.

Best,
Helen

that's good information to know, and thank you for that. but i am still baffled as to whether or not i can use my minolta flash on my d300.

as you said jerry, i assumed the safe range was between 2 and 5 volts, but i as well really do not know. i do know that 12 volts and above is not a good thing though

Last edited:
i do know that 12 volts and above is not a good thing though

What is your source of information for that, and why do you distrust the value of 250 volts given on the Nikon tech support website? Why not ask a direct question to Nikon tech support?

Best,
Helen

kind of off subject now, but would using the minolta off camera via cactus triggers pose any of the same problems as far as voltages are concerned?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back