Flash Card Reader?

Calypso b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
K, probably the stupidest question ever but..... Why is a flash card reader necessary? What would you need one for?

Because its a lot lot faster than transfer by the camera. For some reason camera bodies are very slow to upload photos to computers via cable (at least in my experience) so a £/$5-10 amount on a little card reader saves a lot of time in transfer of shots.

One of the main reasons I like using a card reader, is so that I don't have to have my camera tethered to the computer. When I first got my camera, I had it sitting on the desk while attached to the computer. I snagged the cable and almost sent the camera off the desk and onto the floor.

If a $20 card reader can save me from dropping the camera off of a desk top, it's well worth it.

Inexpensive, safe and fast way to transfer data to any computer from the memory cards without moving the camera and the wire for transfer. Also as some others have already mentioned, you can use the camera meanwhile second card downloads info to a computer.

For example: in my house we have a designated computer with the entertainment center which luckily has a built in card reader, but my computer, my wife's and my daughter do not have card readers, so to save time I can give the flash card reader and memory card (locked) to my daughter and let her pick whatever pictures she wants without having to worry about the camera.

I just picked up a pocket USB Flash reader for 5.99$ which is way cheaper then a D90.

Most reactions

Back