Flash choice

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've decided to get a flash for my Canon 80D, I also have a Canon SL1 that my daughter uses.
I have never owned or used a flash so would like input as to the ones I have it narrowed down to.
These are in no particular order. Looking for the best out of the bunch.
1. https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzcak2.html
2. https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2cx2.html
3. Godox TT685C Thinklite TTL Flash with X1T-C Trigger Kit for Canon Cameras
4. Godox TT685C Thinklite TTL Flash with XProC Trigger Kit for Canon Cameras
5. Godox VING V860IIC TTL Li-Ion Flash with X1T-C TTL Trigger Kit for Canon Cameras
6.Godox VING V860IIC TTL Li-Ion Flash with XProC TTL Trigger Kit for Canon Cameras
If I kept them in the right order 1, 3, and 5 all have the same trigger and 2,4, and 6 have the same trigger. I know these are the same flash units just different names. They were spoken highly of by several members that's why I picked them. Might consider others.
My biggest question of these is there a benefit of one trigger than the other?
I know the one allows you to mount a flash on top but is that a feature that would be used often?
I think that is my hang up on these.
Are rechargeable batteries preferred of the lithium-ion battery pack?
Also the Flashpoint mentions R2 but the Godox doesn't. Do they both have that and one doesn't mention it? Is that something that is preferred or really useful?
Anything else I should consider either in function or benefit?
Sorry this is so long. Just want to make the right purchase.

The best way to boil down your choices is to remember that Flashpoint(Adorama branded Godox) and Godox are the same thing. All of those triggered are interchangeable so a Flashpoint trigger will communicate with a Godox speed light.

The real choice is whether you want Li-on for faster recycle times and greater capacity vs AA batteries for the speed light.

Of the three triggers, I'd stay away from the X1T model, it has been replaced by the X2T with better button layout. Some like the shoe mount others prefer the Pro/R2Pro style but the key difference in function is the R2Pro has a TCM function that is missing from the X2T trigger. If you want to set up lights in TTL and then convert the exposure to manual, only the R2 can do this with one press of the button.

I would suggest you check out some youtoob videos on the functionality difference between the two triggers. Here's some to consider:

Godox XPro/Flashpoint R2Pro

X2T/R2 Mark IITrigger

I know the one allows you to mount a flash on top but is that a feature that would be used often?
Just a quick note before I have to run: I don't know anything about Canon-compatible flash, but I'll tell you how I use my flash(es). I will sometimes mount the flash in the hotshoe if I'm running around a large room snapping individuals or small groups as I can get them. For this kind of flash application, I will turn the head to bounce the light off the ceiling or a nearby wall, so not just straight toward my subject.

Ideally, I would get the flash off my camera in any way that I could, such as a cord, a bracket, an RF trigger, in Nikon's Creative Light System (CLS) or in slave mode.

Most reactions

Back