Flash diffuser

Okie Photo©

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a Nikon SB-600 flash unit. I am wanting to get a diffuser for it, I was wondering what your thoughts are on "the best" diffuser.

I have been looking at:

Just your standard diffuser:
SBM Supreme Light Diffuser for The Nikon SB600 and Olympus FL-36 Flashes

and...

I recently watched a wedding photographer use one of these:
Flash Lambency Diffuser for Nikon SB800 SB600 Speedlight - Wholesale Factory Direct

It seemed to me that the second diffuser spread the light a good bit more than a standard diffuser does. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either and which you guys would suggest.

$52 for the Fong Dong? I'd rather go with the dome diffuser for a tenner.

I have seen the Gary Fong diffusers. Is there really anything special about them or is it just paying for a name. I am VERY new to the flash game, so honestly I do not know.

The Fong globe looks a lot like the $10 dome I posted....

You can get by with generic Tupperware if you really want to save money (seriously), used clear film canisters work as well.

I like Gary Fong's stuff because I know how it works, it lasts, fits well and does what I need (when I need it). I've tried paying less and the fit is never right, now I just stick with what I know will work.

You can get by with generic Tupperware if you really want to save money (seriously), used clear film canisters work as well.

I agree. A few weeks ago, I took a small Tupperware container and with 2 small cuts and a couple of bends, made an excellent diffuser for a one off photo I was taking and it turned out excellent.

It's flexible, and fits nicely in the top section of my Lowepro camera backpack. Plus it's not the type of thing you need to carry with you wherever you go.

Take a look at lumiquest. I don't have a flash yet but they seem like a pretty decent idea.

As far as a self made diffuser, I used to use a tissue with a rubber band over the lens - looked stupid but worked great. I had an argument about it at a friends wedding with their professional photographer; he claimed I lost too much light. If I remember correctly his photos sucked!

I use a white plastic container which held a product called "gumption" in it. It was some cleaning stuff. Cost me $2 for the gumption. Found a local store that uses Perspex and got some offcuts to make a few that slide over my flash, Use an old kids telescope for a snoot. Have done the tissue, even used shopping bag plastic at odd times.

I like my sto-fen.... a quick tweak in post removes any color cast.

p!nK

Okie Photo©;2075300 said:
I recently purchased a Nikon SB-600 flash unit. I am wanting to get a diffuser for it, I was wondering what your thoughts are on "the best" diffuser.

I have been looking at:

Just your standard diffuser:
SBM Supreme Light Diffuser for The Nikon SB600 and Olympus FL-36 Flashes

and...

I recently watched a wedding photographer use one of these:
Flash Lambency Diffuser for Nikon SB800 SB600 Speedlight - Wholesale Factory Direct

It seemed to me that the second diffuser spread the light a good bit more than a standard diffuser does. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either and which you guys would suggest.

No body seems to have asked this question yet so I will. What do you want to use the diffuser for? Different diffusers serve different purposes. I have a couple of Sto-Fen's for macro work. I have the LumiQuest Pro Max system that I use when I can't bounce light off of a ceiling. A couple of Big Bounces when I need to spread a bit of light for a small group with two units and a fong knock off that rarely gets used. They all serve different purposes.

No body seems to have asked this question yet so I will. What do you want to use the diffuser for? Different diffusers serve different purposes. I have a couple of Sto-Fen's for macro work. I have the LumiQuest Pro Max system that I use when I can't bounce light off of a ceiling. A couple of Big Bounces when I need to spread a bit of light for a small group with two units and a fong knock off that rarely gets used. They all serve different purposes.

To be honest it is just to play around with for now. I have no doubt that more diffusers will be purchased in the future for different uses. For now the main use is going to be indoor portraits.

I actually went ahead and purchased the Prolight Inverted Cloud Dome Flash Diffuser System today. Should be here in 2-6 business days!! :lol:

Thank you all very much for the input!

Most reactions

Back