Flash help

ganafbbyx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i own the Canon 6D that doesnt come with a built-in flash. So i bought the canon speedlite 340 ex II. When i first used it on a wedding. The flash would go off at every picture. I do not know what button i was playing with.
But it seems to just flash whenever it wants to. Its really aggrevating ! If anyone knows what im doing wrong. Please let me know.
Also it turns off. Maybe low battery doesnt let it flash.

430 EX maybe? If you don't want the flash to fire then turn it off. You don't have to take it off the camera. Most Point & Shoot cameras have an automatic flash mode where the camera decides if the flash fires. Is that what you are looking for? I've never seen an external flash with a feature like that. You have to decide for yourself whether you want it or not. Its highly dependent on the situation, but you may want to try it in dark areas or when your subjects are lit more from the back than from the front. Good luck.

We don't know what all the settings are. If you have the flash on i-TTL, then it should flash nearly every time, sometimes with less power than at other times.

There is a "time out" function to turn off the flash if it hasn't beeb used in some time. That is designed to save batteries. You can switch that feature off if you wish, but you will have to turn off the flash yourself.

Last edited:
i own the Canon 6D that doesnt come with a built-in flash. So i bought the canon speedlite 340 ex II. When i first used it on a wedding. The flash would go off at every picture. I do not know what button i was playing with.
But it seems to just flash whenever it wants to. Its really aggrevating ! If anyone knows what im doing wrong. Please let me know.

Do you mean the 430exII ?
make sure the flash is set on ETTL and the batteries are fully charged
(and read the manual!)

I love the Canon 430exII. It is a very versatile piece of equipment. It does exactly what I want it to almost every time. The fact that you used it at a wedding tells me you have experience with flash photography but the vague post indicates otherwise. "I do not know what button I was playing with". ?? I think I would figure out what the buttons control before I EVER took it to a wedding! It is possible you are having a battery issue. Speedlights are notorious battery hogs and require a significant amount of power. Eneloop rechargeable batteries are a popular choice among photographers.

How are you using the camera? Are you in Manual, Aperture / Shutter priority or AUTO ?

Are you shooting fast consecutive shots, which may not allow enough time for the flash to recharge for the next shot ?

We need to know more about how you are using the camera and the flash. Settings (TTL mode or Manual and what power setting ?) etc - or did you just plugged it in and started shooting ?

I use the 430 ex ii. I just switch it off when I don't want to flash, and on when I do. It saves battery and ensures I'm getting what I want.

Yes sorry its the 430ex ii. The wedding was a cousin of mine who bought me the flash to take her photos. Last minute. But the flash was working great. How i wanted it to work. That was actually the first time i used the flash on my new 6D.
Then after i was indoors ina low lght birthday party & it was flashing fine for the first 10 minutes. Kept dying out.
Im on Manual mode on the camera. And Its on ETTL. IL try new batteries and see of thats the issue. Because it does turn off on me.

And does anyone know if i can use the flash off the camera? I wanna practice with the flash. I have a 1 year old photoshoot next month. And would love to use the flash off the camera w a reflector.

Im usually a sun loving photographer. :/. Its difficult making ur own light source lol

And does anyone know if i can use the flash off the camera? I wanna practice with the flash. I have a 1 year old photoshoot next month. And would love to use the flash off the camera w a reflector.
l

sure, you can use the 430ex II off-camera
optical - $0 cost but "RF" wireless, ETTL, etc. depends on other factors

Yes sorry its the 430ex ii. The wedding was a cousin of mine who bought me the flash to take her photos. Last minute. But the flash was working great. How i wanted it to work. That was actually the first time i used the flash on my new 6D.
Then after i was indoors ina low lght birthday party & it was flashing fine for the first 10 minutes. Kept dying out.
Im on Manual mode on the camera. And Its on ETTL. IL try new batteries and see of thats the issue. Because it does turn off on me.
With Nikon speedlights, if they get over-heated, they will shut down to prevent burn-out.

Yes, indeed, you can use the flash off camera! Trigger it with a cable, or with an RF (radio-frequency) transceiver set (your option).

Most reactions

Back