Flash Meter?

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I've got the CLS thing figured out and it is ok but, I would like to be able to set up a proper light setup using manual settings too. For this I know I need a flash meter. I am sure that the Sekonic meters are great, is there anything under $200 worth looking at?

I have a Gossen Starlite, which is now OOP. But the Starlite II is the same principle.

I have the Minolta Flash 4, very good meter can be had on Ebay when new they were very expensive in UK £450

Yep... it's a decent enough meter, but it lacks somewhat in build quality. I echo Gary's comments on the Minolta meters; check eBay for some nice Flash V meters. These really are a top-level pro meter.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've always preferred Sekonic but if you want cheap you can get a Novatron FM02 for $100 new .. probably $50 or less used. They're not pretty but they work for most peoples purposes.

I have been using this meter for over a year. It's a basic nuts and bolts meter but for non-professional use, it's a rock star. I use it on location with my monolights and speedlights. It's very easy to use and requires minimal brain activity to get started.

One thing to note: when using the flash mode with the CLS system, you can get false readings due to the pre-flashes.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Gossen also made a LunaPro I have their incident meter but use rarely

Gossen is a name brand and is trusted. It's probably the second biggest light meter maker next to Sekonic, and tend to be a bit pricier than Sekonics. Gossen also makes industrial and scientific measurement instruments.

I also had a Starlite, and I loved it - and that is why I recommended this meter. Does anyone know if Sekonic makes something similar?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back