Flash Meter

deb said:
Does anyone use a flash meter with off camera strobes?
That would pretty much sum up the use for a flash meter. Since it's such a quick burst of light, a regular meter wont work. So you need an incident meter that can hold that number so you can read it. Generally photographers setup the lights into position and take a reading off of each strobe individually. Then you can determine the lighting ratio and whether to move the lights or adjust the power.

I'm just now experimenting with the strobes. For fixed work, I have been able to gets some acceptable shots through trial and error (and the addition of umbrellas). I didn't know whether others relied on the meters or if they were able to "read" the scene based on experience.

I also don't know how reliable the flash meters are. If you bracket 1 stop under, the suggested and one stop over exposed will you usually get an acceptable exposure?

Most flash meters are very accurate. All you're doing is measuring the light falling on the subject. Just like an incident meter... and it's exposing for middle gray like every other meter.

I have a Polaris meter I use with my strobes. Never a problem!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back