Just got my first SLR!

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Eyed the EOS 1 series.... but was way over my budget at the moment. Couldn't afford the Elan either. An EOS 5 (A2E) came along my way. $219 (ebay). I don't know if thats a lot for this machine.

Anyways, I'm glad.

Looks like my 10D's sibling... but a lot lighter. And for THE first time I saw 'normally' thru the 50mm :). Have heard lots about the 50mm being the 'normal' lens. I love this lens!

Its a happy evening!

Don't know nothing about the basic operations!! :)
Couple of dumb queries for starters:

1. Don't it have an On/Off button??:) Or does it turn on when you load the film in?

2. The instruction book said that the equipment will automatically selet the film speed setting.
Question: What happens if I decrease or increase the ISO settings manually? How is it going to affect the exposure?

Okay, you can ignore my first question. Figured it out already :)

danalec99 said:
Okay, you can ignore my first question. Figured it out already :)

Read your manual. Keep it in your camera bag when you head out to shoot.

Try every film that you think sounds cool. :wink: Slides, B&W, all of it. Different speeds, etc. Keep an exposure log each time and mull it over while you view your results. Best way to learn.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

danalec99 said:
2. The instruction book said that the equipment will automatically selet the film speed setting.
Question: What happens if I decrease or increase the ISO settings manually? How is it going to affect the exposure?

It will automatically select the ISO as long as you are using DX coded film cannisters, which is everything you'd buy ready to use at the store. But if you bulk load your own film, the cannister probably won't have a DX code (those black and chrome squares), and the camera might default to ISO 100 or something.

If you manually increase the ISO setting you will be under exposing. If you decrease the ISO setting you will be over exposing.

I have the A2. Great camera. Keep the manual handy. There are a lot of variables you can set up!

Thanks terri, ksmattfish and Walt.

Walt, what I'm missing badly is the DOF preview button. What do you do in order to preview the DOF?
The command dial has a DEP mode, but would you know how it works? (the instruc. manual was not very helpful)

Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back