Flash Photography- Wedding

Is it best to let her decide on the price? Or would it be selfish of me to tell her what I would pay for each session of her time?
I would just bring it up ambiguously at first and judge her reaction on the fly, on the off chance that she might be willing to do it for free or very little.

Then if she seems like she wants to talk money, or does explicitly, then be ready quickly with exactly what your budget is, as if you were expecting/assuming that all along.

Gives you a chance of scoring a discount or free if possible, but shouldn't insult her if not, by making it clear you mostly expected her to get paid if that comes up. Don't worry at all about having a limit on how much you can pay and being vocal about it. No business person should ever be "insulted" by a customer having a budget, IMO. If it's too low for her then it just won't work out. No big deal.

Or if she is obviously a legit, high powered full time pro photographer with gigs every week and a studio whose paycheck comes mostly or entirely from that, then just start out with your budget. The "maybe free" thing is only if she is a part time, mostly hobbyist type who might sway that way.

I can sense that this wedding on a boat after sunset shoot has the potential for total disaster. If you do not own a flash currently, by the time the wedding rolls around, your level of experience with flash in confined spaces, at dusk and after dark, is going to be pretty limited I suspect. Not to be a wet blanket, but man...this seems like a recipe for things to go wrong,wrong,wrong.

I would just bring it up ambiguously at first and judge her reaction on the fly, on the off chance that she might be willing to do it for free or very little.

Then if she seems like she wants to talk money, or does explicitly, then be ready quickly with exactly what your budget is, as if you were expecting/assuming that all along.

Gives you a chance of scoring a discount or free if possible, but shouldn't insult her if not, by making it clear you mostly expected her to get paid if that comes up. Don't worry at all about having a limit on how much you can pay and being vocal about it. No business person should ever be "insulted" by a customer having a budget, IMO. If it's too low for her then it just won't work out. No big deal.

Or if she is obviously a legit, high powered full time pro photographer with gigs every week and a studio whose paycheck comes mostly or entirely from that, then just start out with your budget. The "maybe free" thing is only if she is a part time, mostly hobbyist type who might sway that way.

All great advice, thank you! I have left her a message and now I just have to wait to hear back from her. Thank you again for your time and comments!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back