Flash projector from the 70's

virginiaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
About 1973 I bought a mirror device that attached to any square electronic flash gun and projected a spot of light out several hundred feet for use with a 200mm telephoto lens. It worked pretty well, weighed about 8 oz, and was inexpensive, about $30 back then. I loaned it to a friend and never got it back. I just discovered the Better Beamer devices, but can't find anything like the mirror I used and wonder if anyone has seen such a gadget. I think it was made in France or England. It was not as compact as the Better Beamer but may have been more effective. The mirror was attached to a bracket that connected to my camera tripod hole. My flash was mounted in a bracket in front of the mirror. The mirror pointed forward and the flash faced into it, so the flash was pointed back at the user. The mirror was shaped like a small wraparound windshield with a 3 inch flat spot in the center and measured about 8 inches wide and 4 inches high. I don't recall the name, but found out about it from a popular photography magazine; might have been Popular Photography. It probably wasn't portable enough or easy enough to use to find more use and never survived. Just wonder if anyone else ever used it or know of a similar device. It was another way of doing what the Better Beamer does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back