Flash question or two!

inov8ter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently using a D90. I have a SB-600. I know, and have used it off camera and it works great. My question is, I also have a Vivatar 3500 thrister. Now, If I want to use both off camera, will I just need the triggers. I don't know the exact name. But would I need two, one for each flash or would the 600 still sync normally of camera as if I were just using that by itself? Does that makes sense? I hope so. I found the old Vivatar laying around in an old bag with my old film camera. So if I can use it I would like to so I don't have to buy another flash. Thanks!
Jack

You will need a trigger of some sort for the Vivitar; a $20 optical trigger is your cheapest bet. You can go to radio triggers which will run anywhere from cheap, unreliable made in China junk at $40/unit to the gold-standard, Pocket wizard which can run $200+ a unit.

You can use your pop-up flash as a commander to trigger your SB-600, and the flash from that will trigger the optical trigger attached to the Vivitar.

Ok, so I will just need 1 optical trigger, then I will be good to go? Can you recommend a decent one by chance? I know you mentioned $20 for one.

Just FYI:

Optical trigger may not work too well for outdoor shoot during the day. (esp bright sunny day) vs Radio trigger will work on night or day. Even if you hide it inside a phone booth or trash can!

No, I can't. I usually just buy them in bulk through eBay. I've never had any problems with them aside from the odd dead one.

Dao makes a good point, and it may be necessary to move the trigger closer to your other flash (you can do this by connecting with an inexpensive PC cord).

Good point Dao. Well i was just checking Ebay, and they do make some optical ones with pc port on it. I may just give it a try. Heck why not they are only like 15 bucks at most. Thanks again!

Also, does he need a smart trigger? Does the d90 have a preflash for using it's off camera TTL? If so, it'll cause the vivitar to fire before the SB.

i have a pair of these and they work wonders for me :), only thing i don't like is when i move to close to one of the recievers ALL 3 flashes go off lol

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Studio-RT-16-Trigger-Receivers/dp/B0034Z4PYK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284138055&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Wireless Studio Flash RT-16 Trigger +4 Receivers - 16 CHAN: Electronics[/ame]

I wouldn't recommend using nikon cls along with optical receivers.
When your popup flash sends a preflash, the shutter on the camera is still closed while your vivitar will fire and only on the 2nd flash you sb600 will fire.
Therefore for basic stuff and learning how to do it all - ebay to the rescue - they have cheap units 3 receivers/1 transmitters - all hot shoe compatible for like $40-$50.
Good Luck

So getting something like OffTheWall suggested would work ok for now? I mean, I don't need 4 but something along those lines.

So getting something like OffTheWall suggested would work ok for now? I mean, I don't need 4 but something along those lines.
If by OffTHeWall you mean expensive, then you don't need it for basic stuff at home. Great advantage of freewire and PW multimax is the ability to turn on/off specific unit - something that you'd need at a wedding (hence the price $300/unit) BUT at home you can use the ebay version. (below).

remote flash trigger items - Get great deals on Flash Accessories items on eBay.com!

buddy of mine got one of those and I used it for engagement party - small party where i need my portable lights to be room lights. WORKED great. Crappy range though but for the price you pay for it - worked great.

You can go to radio triggers which will run anywhere from cheap, unreliable made in China junk at $40/unit
Have you used any of the cheap Chinese PT-04 radio triggers?

I have (the iShoot brand, specifically). IMO, they are not junk, are actually quite reliable considering their cost, and more than sufficient of amateur use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISHOOT-PT-04-C-Wireless-Remote-Radio-Flash-Trigger-3RX_W0QQitemZ270623248413QQcategoryZ64354QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D280402884186%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5802247859819165116

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you used any of the cheap Chinese PT-04 radio triggers?

I've got a couple somewhere that I picked up in a horse-trade and I'm REALLY lucky if they work 4 times out of 5, and 3 out of 5 is probably more of an average. I suppose there's a wide variance in quality, but again, I think it's worth paying a little more to get reliability.

I bought a set of 3 of these a few months back. They've fired 100% of the time. and it comes with all of the cables (for my camera at least) to work as a remote shutter.

they are nice because they have a pre-focus ability. And they can wake up most flashes from sleep mode.

The only issue that I have had is when i try to remotely fire my camera and the flashes. Everything goes off, but they flashes don't sync with the shutter.

plus, it came with duracell batteries! (the little things, right?)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back