flash question

anel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm going to buy a flash and i want it to be as cheap as it can get but still has manual contrls for off-camera use. what about those vivitars? i hear good things but also that it can be dangerous to use on-camera?

FYI: Vivitar went out of business.

Which camera do you have? There are other 3rd party brands available that may have something compatible with your camera.

i have the canon 400D and i know that vivitar went out of business, i'm buying my flash used, not brand new. i know they're cheap and have manual controls but are they a risk to the camera? if so, are there any other more reliable but still cheap flashes?

thx for the links! what about safety - is it safe to use it directly on the hot-shoe? i also crave manual settings because i'll be using the cactus triggers.

thx for the links! what about safety - is it safe to use it directly on the hot-shoe?
The Canon compatible flashes can be used on the hot shoe.
i also crave manual settings because i'll be using the cactus triggers.
You have to read the product description to find out. I know the 285HV did have manual settings as it's very popular with strobists.

Cactus came out with the Cactus KF36 Full Manual Adjustable Flash, which is basically a clone of the Vivtar 285HV. But it's meant to be used off-camera strobist style, can't use it on-camera.

so the things i heard about the vivitar 285HV and the threat it poses to the camera is incorrect?

that cactus flash looks great! i'm going to read about it and find out why i should choose that instead of the vivitar as i can also use the vivitar on the camera i assume.

so the things i heard about the vivitar 285HV and the threat it poses to the camera is incorrect?
No, I believe they are correct. You can use the Vivitar 285HV off-camera (strobist) but if you were to use it on the hot shoe you could fry your camera because the hot shoe trigger voltage isn't the same as the flash trigger voltage. The 285HV isn't listed as a Canon hot shoe compatible flash.
that cactus flash looks great! i'm going to read about it and find out why i should choose that instead of the vivitar as i can also use the vivitar on the camera i assume.
If the Cactus KF36 is an exact clone of the 285HV I wouldn't use it on the hot shoe of your 400D.

How much were you looking to spend on the flash?

You need to research the flash in question and also your own cameras tolerance voltage wise, if your unsure I'd go with a dedicated flash, most makers produce them for any camera model and the majority will be able to be adjusted manually, it doesn't have to be made by canon. H

well seeing as a used 430ex is around 250€, i'd say i'd spend to around 150€ if i got a flash that won't fry my camera, has manual contrls and is compatible with wireless triggers (doesn't even have to be cactus, maybe those china ones on ebay aswell)

Some flash trigger voltages can damage the electronics in more modern digital models.. Here is a handy chart for helping determine if your flash is compatible with a modern Digital..

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

I still use my old Canon 188A Speedlight, and a Nikon SB-10 in the field for fill flash... You just have to be aware and use them in Manual.

i couldn't find the one you mentioned samanax but i did come across this one:

sunpak PF30X flash for canon 400D for about 80€. it looks like it has everything aswell... plus - there are also dedicated triggers for the exact flash model on ebay aswell... now i just need to find out if it can fry my camera or not.

You can get some canon flashs on craigslist used. Ive got a few off there.

i couldn't find the one you mentioned samanax but i did come across this one:

sunpak PF30X flash for canon 400D for about 80€. it looks like it has everything aswell... plus - there are also dedicated triggers for the exact flash model on ebay aswell... now i just need to find out if it can fry my camera or not.
According to the Sunpak web site, that flash will work on your 400D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back