Flash question

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is probably a very stupid question.

If a flash says it us a shoe mount, I know that means it gets mounted on tip of the pop up flash.

My question is:

Can a shoe mount flash be used without actually being mounted on the camera? In other words, can I hold the flash in my
hand next to the camera or something other than it being mounted directly on the camera?

This is probably a very stupid question.

If a flash says it us a shoe mount, I know that means it gets mounted on tip of the pop up flash.

My question is:

Can a shoe mount flash be used without actually being mounted on the camera? In other words, can I hold the flash in my
hand next to the camera or something other than it being mounted directly on the camera?

Yes and No. With only a Flash and your camera, no. Only Nikons from the D90 up (and older D80/D70s) and the new Canon 7d can do that built in (maybe some other manufacturers but not sure).

You can either buy a ST-E2 from Canon. This mounts on your hot-shoe and can fire the flashes wirelessly. Or...you can buy a sync cord which runs from your hot shoe to the flash...but then they are tethered and not wireless (Canon OC-E3 is the part I believe). The cable runs $70 and the ST-E2 runs $220.

Yes if:

A: If it (and your camera) have wireless ability.
B: You have a wireless trigger/receiver.
C: You have a sync cord.

Dammit, Nate beat me.

Should work fine, but you'll need to get the $70 sync cord as well. That flash probably doesn't have a lot of power though (just guessing) so if you try and do some macro during the day using small apertures to block outside light.....that flash may or may not have the power to light the subject (probably will, but I'll let a Canon guy say for sure).

I would only need the sync cord though if I want
to be able to use the flash without it being mounted on the camera, right?

yay! More questions answered by the TPF elders! :)

Thanks guys :) lol

any specific off brand you can think of?

I only know of like sigma and tamron... and I know they make lenses, but not sure what else...

any specific off brand you can think of?

I only know of like sigma and tamron... and I know they make lenses, but not sure what else...

Have you ever been to B&H Photo's site? If not....

www.bhphotovideo.com

you should really spend some time browsing around their camera and photo gear section. For now...here's a link to the flash sync cables.
Dedicated Cords & Modules

Very first one is a 30 dollar cable for Canon that retains TTL.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just bought one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Wireless-Receiver-cowboystudio/dp/B002W3IXZW"]Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo[/ame] . It allows you to use your flash off camera wireless. I have not got it yet and do not know how well it works . Also ETTL snd TTL do not work. But for the price I thought it was a good deal. Another cheap alternative.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back