Flash questions

iBats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So just wondering, any idea how much small wireless flashes cost? and which ones people would recomend? im working on a tight budget

Please be more specific about what gear you have, so we can answer the question.

Are there any specific flashes you have in mind?

Last edited:
For the kodak M1063? If that's the case you need to be sure it doesn't have a pre-flash of any kind. If it don't you can use almost any old flash with a optical slave or better yet a AC strobe w/slave for indoors only.

You can look into things on ebay. Also, depends what brand camera you have - something like Nikon D70, D80, D90 D200, D300 and up, you can use CLS with SB600, SB800 flashes.
Be more specific on what exactly you want. :)

yeah sorry bout that

i have the nikon d3000

Don't be sorry.
buddy of mine just got 1trigger and 3 receivers on ebay that allow flashes connect via hotshoe. once he gets them he'll be over my house everyday learning how to take portraits (he already got stands, 2 flashes, and 2 shoot through umbrellas from ebay as well).
Over all, he spend about 100 on wireless connections as well as stands & umbrellas.

also im looking for something that would help with nature photography along with the occasional urban setting

Don't be sorry.
buddy of mine just got 1trigger and 3 receivers on ebay that allow flashes connect via hotshoe. once he gets them he'll be over my house everyday learning how to take portraits (he already got stands, 2 flashes, and 2 shoot through umbrellas from ebay as well).
Over all, he spend about 100 on wireless connections as well as stands & umbrellas.

never really used exterior flashes what does all that mean? heh

On strobist site, the new popular trend is mounting flash units onto lightstands and shooting through umbrellas or using reflective umbrellas.
Problem #1. number of manufactures don't allow wireless control thus you have to buy transitive/receivers (camera tells transmitter to flash. transmitter tells receiver to do so. receiver tells the flash to fire). others, like Nikon, you can use CLS but you have to make sure that IR sensor is in the line of sight of camera's flash.
Problem #2 most flash units, don't have modeling light, thus you are guestimating when placing it on the umbrella as to what you'll get.

so would you suggest to just buy a flash that is mounted to the camera or a separate flash that has a wireless trigger that is attached to the top of the camera

so would you suggest to just buy a flash that is mounted to the camera or a separate flash that has a wireless trigger that is attached to the top of the camera
hhhmmm tough one.
CLS is nice, if you have bells and whistles, it is slow in response though (b/n depressing the shutter and actual shot).
I'd recomend you getting what you can afford :)

If you got 40 bucks to throw down, I would suggest picking up a yn-460 from bay. They're cheap enough to fool around with and can be slaved (using your pop up flash to trigger it) so you don't have to get triggers. Also you can also mount it atop your camera.

also im looking for something that would help with nature photography along with the occasional urban setting

No reason to use off-camera flash for "nature" stuff, unless you're talking about still subjects (flowers etc.) - still you should have more than enough light without having to resort to a dedicated flash.

What is meant by "urban"?

Also, I don't know anyone who would consider shooting flash heads through light modifiers a "new trend".

hhhmmm tough one.
CLS is nice, if you have bells and whistles, it is slow in response though (b/n depressing the shutter and actual shot).
:)
Huh? Could you elaborate? CLS is triggered by infrared light.

the new popular trend is mounting flash units onto lightstands and shooting through umbrellas or using reflective umbrellas.
They've been doing this for several decades now.

Last edited:
No reason to use off-camera flash for "nature" stuff, unless you're talking about still subjects (flowers etc.) - still you should have more than enough light without having to resort to a dedicated flash.
I can easily envisage uses for wireless flash - setting it up where you know/suspect a certain critter will turn up, while watching at a good distance with a long lens... especially if its something nocturnal.

Unfortunately, that's likely to be beyond the range of the eBay wireless flashes...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back