Flash Questions.

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Camera: Nikon d3000

My plan was to get an SB-600 as my first flash (have some gift cards, would probably pay out of pocket 130 bucks). As I was talking to a buddy of mine who is into strobist shots and been shooting for a bit, he recommended a yn460 ( YN-460 II Flash Speedlite for Canon Nikon Pentax Camera - eBay (item 160454436594 end time Aug-09-10 03:04:11 PDT) ) or the yn560 ( YN-560 Flash Speedlite for Nikon D3 D2X D2H D1H D1X - eBay (item 180531283973 end time Aug-09-10 01:52:45 PDT) ). Both are Manual flashes, no TTL. I mainly wanted a flash for some portrait work, fill flash and occasionally using it in low light night photography off camera. With the d3000, for off camera flash, I would be stuck using triggers for either one so that's not an issue. I guess my question is, is it worth saving 100 bucks for a cheaper brand flash (one that has pretty good reviews) and losing TTL, or spending the extra money and not having to worry about setting my flash every single time on camera when taking pictures at indoor family events?

Any thoughts or experiences? How difficult is it working with manual flashes, is it something that is easily learned?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Give it a year and you'll probably be shooting with your flash in manual mode.

Things to look at the spec for are GN and how much control of power you have. The SB-600 goes in 1/3 steps. While that is convienent, I wouldn't be happy with a flash that doesn't have at least 1 stop settings.

Also, the SB-600 doesn't have a PC port. You'll need a shoe for that to go off camera. I

You will be shooting manual faster than you think. I have cheap manual triggers and sunpak flashes becausethe have fast recycle and decent GN. You will find that flash works much better off camera so I would go for what works the best in that situation.

So, do yall think the yn560 would be a better choice, just learn manual as I go? Is TTL that big of a deal to have?

C'mon guys, I know most of you have flash ... Please shed some light on the situation and help me out. I've done some research, but STILL not decided, need some 'professional' opinions.

I've never heard of those flash units. Vivatar, Metz and a short few others are more recognizable.

Oh, I saw something the other day about a flash from MPIX I think. Check with a search on Big Mike within the last two weeks using the keyword 'mpix' or 'mpex'. Else, search all posts. At a glance it looked reasonable.

C'mon guys, I know most of you have flash ... Please shed some light on the situation and help me out. I've done some research, but STILL not decided, need some 'professional' opinions.

Looks like a good deal for $57. Keep in mind that it is a cheap unit. It's made in China,and some of the products shipping out of there and being sold via eBay are rather cheesy...it might last 5 years, it might last 15 years, or it might last 5 weeks...it is very hard to know. There is not much of a track record with that brand, but the features set, for the price is good: lots of power adjustment, swivel and tilt, a built-in slave,etc.

I would not want to "rely" on just one of these flash units for anything important, but considering how inexpensive they are, one could buy a backup or two.

The guide numbers are terrible. Do not buy this flash. Buy a Sunpak 544 or something.

Alpha, which flash do you say NOT to buy? I posted two of them lol.

Anyways, I've decided to roll with the sb600, and get one of the China models as a backup/slave flash whenever I want to go dual flash. I want to learn manual, but I'm also going to like to learn on something that can go Auto when in a bind. Plus, the quality of an actual Nikon product makes me feel a bit better too. I can't wait to learn flash, should open up a totally different world.

Thanks for all the responses :p

Most reactions

Back