flash setup

FDSA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you guys think about this kit?
I have an XSI and am mainly looking for a good setup for BMX and skating. the flashes seem kinda weak and a 10 second recycle is horrible. So is this a good place to start for flashes or would you suggest something else? all i really need are 2 flashes, recievers, and a trigger, maybe flash stands too actually.

Gadget Infinity*::*Digital Camera*::*Flash*::*Cactus KF36 Portrait Flash Combo

What kind of budget are you working with?

The Gadget Infinity Cactus equipment is made in China and pretty hit or miss when it comes to quality control. Some people have had good experiences with the new radio triggers, some haven't. Failure rate seems to be about 30%.

The flash units are pretty new and I really haven't heard much about them other than they're clones of the old Vivitar 285HV flashes. The Vivitar 285HV have almost cult status among strobists but the newer models had lots of quality control issues. I'd image the Cactus KF36 flash units are like the radio triggers...hit or miss with a fairly high failure/DOA rate.

Personally I'd stay away from Gadget Infinity stuff if you have a decent budget to work with. But if you have limited funds and the Gadget Infinity stuff is within your budget then just realize that you may end up with DOA parts or parts that fail after a short time. If they do work okay then they tend to keep working for about a year or so before they start to give problems.

Try checking out the strobist stuff at MidWest Photo Exchange. I hear the LumoPro LP 120s are pretty decent flash units. They do sell the earlier Cactus radio triggers if you want to look at those.

I use CyberSync radio triggers from AlienBees with my Canon flashes (430EX and 580EX II) and really like them. They cost more than the Gadget Infinity Cactus radio triggers but cost a lot less than the industry standard PocketWizards.

Most reactions

Back