Flash setup

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What sort of dual flash setup do you use? I used to have a ring flash in the 80's. Was looking to get back into flash macro and wondered what is available nowadays for dslr's.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't have one, but from what I am seeing on blogs and such for the folks I consider to have really, really good flash macro it seems the Canon MT24-EX is the thing to have...but it's $800.

What sort of dual flash setup do you use?
For what? That's like asking what food I eat. I use a different one every day.

As for ring flash, I don't know much about any competitors, but Paul Buff's ABR800 is only $400, for a 320 Ws light.

I got a cheap ring light from Amazon. Haven't used it much yet, but will be soon. It's not a flash though. The light stays on. Good for focusing in low light. Good with metering. Also good for some portraits.
It comes with six adapters, so it can be used with other lenses, and not just macro. It's really a nice light for only $30. This is it...........
http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER®-Light...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336077443&sr=1-2
Good luck with whatever you get.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great collection of DIY setups!
I use a similar one to the single speedlight with a softbox on it. Works well with the built-in wireless trigger.
Similar to this one but not wired.
5184882304_e796300845.jpg

Great collection of DIY setups!
I use a similar one to the single speedlight with a softbox on it. Works well with the built-in wireless trigger.
Similar to this one but not wired.

Okay too if you don't mind the weight. Plus adjusting the ballhead for different light angle is quite a pain. why don't you put it belly up so you can adjust light angle by just tilting the heads. Like this.

5729095291_584622108f_o.gif

Here are a couple of the setups I use....

Lastolite 8x8 on Kirk Macro bracket (SchwettyLens took this one at our local butterfly pavillion, lol!)
$!Macro-rig.jpg

gorillapod and pocket wizards with Westcott Micro Apollo
$!new-flash-toy.jpg

Nikon R1C1 with DIY diffuser
$!r1.jpg

Quick Question:
I have been shooting macro with my flashes set to manual as I had heard that the pre-flash scared the insects and caused them to flinch out of focus when it fired. Yet most of these rigs seem to be using auto flash. Does anyone have the problem of insects flinching out of focus when their pre-flash flash goes off? Or are you using manual?

Last edited:
Quick Question:
I have been shooting macro with my flashes set to manual as I had heard that the pre-flash scared the insects and caused them to flinch out of focus when it fired. Yet most of these rigs seem to be using auto flash. Does anyone have the problem of insects flinching out of focus when their pre-flash flash goes off? Or are you using manual.
MK
I consistently use ETTL with bugs, and haven't ever had the problem you describe.

Quick Question:
I have been shooting macro with my flashes set to manual as I had heard that the pre-flash scared the insects and caused them to flinch out of focus when it fired. Yet most of these rigs seem to be using auto flash. Does anyone have the problem of insects flinching out of focus when their pre-flash flash goes off? Or are you using manual?

Sometimes manual... sometimes ETTL! Depends on the lighting and the subject.. I have never had a bug "flinch"!

Most reactions

Back