Flash - strobe or external?

setao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey!
Ok, ok - I know, I know. Another semi-noob asking tedious questions. BUT, I would really appreciate an educated response :)

I've done a few weddings (non-professionally) previously, did a professional (i.e. paid) wedding last year and am getting to do another one. The first went well with a D40 (stop laughing!), 18-200 Nikor and an SB-600. (Done laughing yet?) Actually it turned out really well for a first time and I was pleased. But, since then, I've upgraded to a D90 with the same lens and flash. I've also began to play around a smaller studio kit that I ordered recently. In an effort to gain additional lighting for the indoor wedding later this month, I would like to use some remote strobes or external flashes for better images and not have to deal (as much) with motion blur or underexposed images. My dilemma is that as much as I enjoy the larger strobes, I am in love the with SB-600's, and combined with an SU-800 remote/radio unit I would love to have four around the main room to assist with the lighting. Yes, yes I understand that they are not nearly as powerful as the strobes, but since this is obviously a hobby and not a main source of income, would a set/group of SB-600's be able to deliver what I am looking for in this event, and future ones? (I also love the portability options.) Kit link - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N7P64S/ref=oss_product[/ame]

Wow, that was kind of a run-on. Anyways, what are your thoughts? Ultimately, a set of SB-600's would cost a little higher than the decent kit that I have, but I'm wondering if it would pay off since I would still have to get a set of radio transmitter and receivers for the strobes, and I hope that they would be as efficient and reliable as the SB-600's. Like I said, any input that you could provide would be great! Thanks!

- Jason

Last edited:
With enough 600's, you could light a gymnasium if needed. If you already have the SU-800, then some of your problems are diminished, but not eliminated. It is still an IR system, which means line-of-sight (or nearly) is required to trigger your other off-camera flashes. This is not the most proficient system. A radio frequency (RF) is much more dependable, user-friendly and gives a much broader range for firing. 30 feet versus 350 feet for the Cybersyncs and evebn further for the PWs.

Thanks for the reply!

Additionally, what has been your experience with IR systems in that if I am in the middle of a room of 3-4 SB-600's, (pointing towards the "front" 1-2 at a time), will the others "tell" the "rear" ones to fire also, or will they only activate when looking somewhat directly at them?

Also, is there an alternative to the SU-800 (IR) system in lieu of a more reliable radio trigger that's compatible with the D90 and SB-600's? Thanks again!

600s are great and Aye-non Oh-non Imus is right, with enough of them in the right places you could light a night football game. I use them exclusively for everything and love the flexibility they offer. I would also second the idea of radio triggers.

Allan

.....Additionally, what has been your experience with IR systems in that if I am in the middle of a room of 3-4 SB-600's, (pointing towards the "front" 1-2 at a time), will the others "tell" the "rear" ones to fire also, or will they only activate when looking somewhat directly at them?

Also, is there an alternative to the SU-800 (IR) system in lieu of a more reliable radio trigger that's compatible with the D90 and SB-600's? Thanks again!
Indoors with low light situations, not a problem..... so to speak. You can easily trigger a flash that is not line-of-sight as long as the pre-flash communicates. The tricky situations I've found have been easily controlled with making sure the pre-flash is 'seen' by the remote flash. You can fashion some aliminum foil or any piece of white card to bounce the pre-flash to the sensor of the SB. I have used this method to bounce the built-in flash (Commander Mode) to trigger the flashes that were set up 5-6 feet behind me. I expect further distances are achievable. I have no experience with the SU-800, it should work much better at that price point, but who knows really? Actual users only!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back