Flash Trigger option for Macro photography

rhino123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I would like to have some advice from all of you.

Recently I have taken into a liking for macro photography, and had two canon 270EXII flashes lying around my room (got them cheap from my friends). I have ordered a flash bracket that could hold both flashes at a time.

Now the main problem I am facing is my lack of knowledge on whether there are any hotshoe adapters that had two cords to link to each of these flash, so I can trigger them.

I like wired ones... or do I need to use wireless option?

If there are wired option, can I have a brand and model so that I can go to the store and asked them on it.

(PS.The reason I need this information is because most of the store here in my country had salespersonnel that either do not know anything about their products and so explaining and describing my dilemmas could result in me vomiting blood, or those better shops are too busy to entertain me.)

Thanks.

Does that flash allow for manual control? Because if it doesn't, you would need to use a proper 'Canon off-shoe cord'...otherwise the flashes would always fire at full power. You could still use them, it's just less convenient.

For a wired set up, you could get a hotshoe adapter with PC or other outputs, then run wires to another adapter (one for each flash).
Something like THIS or THIS on the camera...You could even stack two of them, allowing you to use the same type of cables.
Then use something like THIS under each flash.

There are "Y" cords available, even ETTL ones. I use one for my macro shots. Got it off ebay.

I don't have fancy TTL flashes for my macro, I use a few different old flash guns. I have a wireless trigger which was given to me, but is relatively inexpensive from FleaBay.

I diffuse the light with several different things, but the best I have found is a piece cut from a plastic semi-transparent milk carton. You need a lot of light for macro, I find, and so full power, diffused down in this manner works for me.

I KNOW it's not quite as good as using the real deal with E-TTL flashes etc, but it works if you're on a tight budget (and by tight budget, I mean I don't have more than a £10 in my pocket! :lol:)

Cheers

Thanks for the advices. I think I will go with the Y cord or the wireless trigger. Actually come to think about it, wireless trigger seemed to be a better way, I could then attach three or four flash to my flash bracket.

Most reactions

Back