Flash Woes

yeah i think you're right, i googled and that's what it came up with.. takes a pre flash to obtain more accurate metering

Last edited:
But P-TTL is just Pentax though right? Sony too?

Last edited:
Seems like the Sony has it, too (ADI, Pre-Flash TTL, and manual).

I still think it may have something to do with the high speed sync, perhaps it has to be turned off manually?

some more info:

"Flash sync 1/160 sec, 1/125 sec (SteadyShot on) "

But "Pre-Flash TTL" is not the same as "Pre-Flash P-TTL". See what I'm saying?

Here's the A200:

Flash
• Built-in pop-up flash (manual release)
• Metering: ADI, Pre-flash TTL, Manual flash control
• Guide number 12 (ISO 100/m)
• Angle of coverage 24 mm (35 mm equiv.)
• Flash sync 1/160 sec
Flash modes
• Auto
• Fill Flash
• Red-eye Reduction (pre-flash)
• Wireless/Remote Off-camera Flash
• Rear Flash Sync.
• High Speed Sync.
• Slow Sync with AE Lock
Flash compensation
• -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 0.3 EV steps
External flash (optional)
• Sony HVL-F56M (guide no. 56)
• Sony HVL-F36M (guide no. 36)
• Macro Twin Flash Kit HVL-MT24AM
• Ring Light HVL-RLAM
• Off camera flash shoe FA-CS1 AM

I don't see "P-TTL" there. But his sync should be OK, He shot those at 1/60 right?

So I'm guessing his flash unit has a Pentax support mode that his camera doesn't need and can't deal with.

Possibly yep!

i'm not sure about the HSS but it could be turned on in the menu, if not then i give up!

HSS comes on automatically on the camera at 1/200th or higher. If I set the camera above this the flash seems normal. I even get the recharge sound when it flashes. I am going to keep tinkering with it tonight and take it to oneof the local camera shops tomorrow and see if they can sync it or let me test it using one of their sinplay models.

I love your avatar btw. :thumbup:

Ok, while I don't have it functional in auto mode I am able to get a decent flash out of it on 1/60th and F4 in manual mode on both the camera and manual mode on the flash.

It's a good thing I at least have it where I can manage taking pics with the right light now. A friend of my wife's is getting married Saturday and they want me to shoot the pics.

I still plan on taking to the ocal camera shop tomorrow and checking out the flash. If the flash is TU I will send it back t the copmpany I purchased it from for an exchange.

For what it's worth, I get that effect when I forget that I either had the camera in commander mode or had it dialed WAY down. I did it earlier tonight and was scratching my head for a couple minutes before I realized what I did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back