Flash X Permanent lights

tonetta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been photographing outdoors for a while...
Now is time to move indoors...
I will be shooting full body models... In a house...
I like using permanent lights, specially the adjustable ones... So I can see how it is going to look... Also they give the model a nice yellowish tone...

But people tell me that the only way to have a very professional look to my shots is by using flash... Everyone agree?
Have you ever seen professionals (true professionals) using permanent adjustable lights?
And what should I look for? What are the good brands?
A really appreciate your help.

Have you ever seen professionals (true professionals) using permanent adjustable lights?

Continuous lighting (or hot lights) is used professionally, but seldom when photographing people. Creature comfort and all that.

Any professional strobe lighting (flash) will have a modeling lamp that is continuous so you can see where your lighting will fall.

-Pete

Pete is right. Continuous (not permanent) lights can be used...but they aren't' ideal for shooting people. Firstly, you need a lot of light power in order to get enough light for fast shutter speeds. You need fast shutter speeds in order to get sharp shots of subjects that may move (people).
If you do have very powerful lights...they will probably be very hot...and it will be uncomfortable for the model.
Most 'studio strobes' have modeling lamps...so you can see what you are doing before the flash fires.

As for the yellow tone...most people want to avoid that and get accurate color.

After a quick look...I'm guessing that the stuff isn't top quality...but you certainly get a lot of stuff for the money.

I might be concerned about the power of the lights. GN45 is much less than most hot shoe flash units...so while they may work in a small room, for small subjects...you may find that they are limiting.

Also, I might suggest starting with something more simple. Maybe one or two lights. Learn how to use that and then move forward when you are ready.

Have a look at this site

Thanks Mike, you are helping a lot...
Another question...

The alien bees is a good brand... Good stuff...
I mean, you suggest that I should buy less and get better quality... And buy more in the future... Of the same quality, right?

I have a few Alienbee lights and they have work well. They are not top-of-the-line...but they are a pretty good product.

It it almost always better to buy something that is of better quality, and it's often cheaper in the long run.

Guys, check this links out...
I have read that it is a good way to go...
No more the annoying flash blinking to the models...
And what you see is what you get...

http://www.pclightingsystems.com/fl/fluorescent.html

I know I am insisting on permanent lights...
But there are a lot of different opinions about it...
So let's discuss it's bad's and con's...

I have couple of Westcott Spyder lites with 5 CF bulbs each. I bought them for animal portraits so the critters would not freak at strobes. (I shoot a lot of parrots)

First with any light modifiers, they are not bright enough. Second, I found critters seldom are bothered a great deal by strobes. Most parrots won't even flinch after the first or second shot. Dogs and cats don't care and herps are oblivious.

I found critters seldom are bothered a great deal by strobes. Most parrots won't even flinch after the first or second shot. Dogs and cats don't care and herps are oblivious.

With the exception of my dog (that walks away when she sees me with the camera :lol:), animals don't mind the flash. My sister's birds don't seem to mind or even react. My niece's gerbil walks towards the light (don't walk into the light, its not your time! lmao).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back