Flash Zoom

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering, is there a method to working out what to set the zoom on the flash head at when in manual mode and it's off camera and at a different distance to the subject than the camera?

Trial and error is always an option.

My current method of choice :)

However it can be tough at times to decide if I have it right just by checking the LCD screen (it's a bit on the small side)

If you wanna know details about off camera strobing, go look at Dustin Diaz's flickr page. He's amazing and he has pictured diagrams of most of his strobe set ups.

You could probably look up the angle of light spread for the different zoom positions on your flash. Then use that to calculate or visualize the spread of light in your scene.

Or just guess and test ;)

if you get to the exact settings right before you get any white clipping, the rest can be done in post processing. This gives you the highest signal to noise ratio anyway.

If you wanna know details about off camera strobing, go look at Dustin Diaz's flickr page. He's amazing and he has pictured diagrams of most of his strobe set ups.

wow, awesome, thanks for that! :thumbup:

not the OP, but wow, awesome. Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back