Flash

Bubbles22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really starting to enjoy using my camera. I have the Nikon D3100 and I'm wanting a better flash for lighting. I hate the way the flash looks on my camera. I've been reading a bit and if I understand it right I want to spend my money on a good flash that I can use as the commander mode right? I guess the SB-900 ...Anyone can tell me more. (Is that overboard?) I love the way natural light looks but I'm taking most of my picture of my kiddos and that means capturing those moments in the house which tends to get dark. I really just want to make sure the equipment I buy I can use later if I upgrade my camera. I want to take all my own baby pictures and such. Thanks:)

the sb-900 is the top of the line flash as of now. the price is a bit steep at around $500, but i would say its worth it if you're really into flash work. just remember you can always dim the power down, but you cannot boost the power past its rated maximum. always get the most powerful flash you can afford.

*i made the "mistake" of buying the sb-600

Commander mode is used to control other flash units.

So if you get a SB-900 you'll need another Nikon flash to use the SB-900's Commander mode feature. The SB-700 also has Commander mode.

So would the SB-700 be the better choice. I'm still reading up and learning but I thought that I needed it if I wanted to use the camera with the bigger flash. I guess that is a dumb question then. I was thinking that if I really get into taking my own childrens pics I might set up a mini studio in my basement. lol I'm along way from there.

I have a basic 2 hr 101 class I'm going to take and I just got the understanding exposure so I suppose I will be doing just that!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 700, love the flash...but, if you are going to get into off camera flash where you will be setting the flash power manually and triggering via a radio trigger from the camera then spend the same amount of money on a strobist kit from midwestphoto.com, if you are looking to leave the flash on the camera and primarily use the ttl function, just want more power and the ablilty to bounce or have more control on where you light is going then the 700 is a nice flash for that and is much cheaper than the 900.
I guess what I'm saying is do some research and figure out what it is you want from a flash, to be on camera or off, before you spend the money on one.

Last edited:
Thanks Keith, I just got the book from the library and of course I just mean't I'm learning. But thanks for the advice on the other book it get. Behanana what kind of photography do you mostly do...I guess I'm thinking that SB-700 would be enough for me. I'm just looking for a better flash for right now. I really hate using flash at all to be honest. But I may have to look into the strobist kit for later if I do make a mini studio. I just don't know what is good merchindise over not, I'd rather only spend my money once and add to it. I guess that is why I want to know why you would have rather had the strobist kit, if you can set up the SB-700 as a commander and make other flashes as a slave. ( I guess you can tell I'm totally new to this stuff. I have no clue. Read, read and read some more!) Thanks

My primary reason for getting the 700 was because the 600 is now discontinued and for the little bit of extra money the 700 seemed like the way to go, I also wanted a Nikon flash so when I do use it on camera I have all the features. I am starting to do some shots of cars at work, and for that reason having the ocf is a must! Now I have the flash and I am working on getting the modifiers and stuff I need, where as the strobist kits were specifically set up to put all that in your hands right from the get go. As others here will tell you, the commander mode on the 700, 900 and SU800 for Nikon is an IR set-up and really only works when the other flashes are in line of sight, so if you plan on working with ocf and firing them remotely radio triggers are the way to go. Check out strobist.com and read the entire site, that will help with understanding the ocf and if it sounds like something that you would be interested in. In either case, I doubt you would dissapointed with any of the nikon flashes.

You know those really stunning photos you see in magazines and whatnot.

The majority of them were made using strobed light (flash).

Though it makes photography a bit more comlplicated and requires more equipment, flash allows more control of the light and that is what photography is all about......light.

So, the more control of the light you have, the more professional your photos look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back