Flexaret red glass

I've never worked on a Flexaret so I don't know about them but the mirrors on some low cost TLRs were made of metal (instead of glass) that was chrome plated or something to give it a mirror-like finish. In time the finish on the metal would discolor and turn a reddish (rusty) color due to oxidation.

That could be what is happening here. In that case cleaning the mirror with a chrome cleaner should fix it.

I was checking the stuff by glowing with a flashlight into the lens and i saw the mirror. It was little too dusty, but okay. I can later send a photo.

Guys! Everything is repaird! Fresnel's out, camera cleaned and a cleaner aperture/exposure ring added. Everything done for 17€ by a local expert. Thanks for your help. Best regards from Slovakia

IMG_20180529_140624.jpg
IMG_20180529_140624.jpg
IMG_20180529_140624.jpg

Hmmm interesting. What is strange here is the "why". There is no reason to install a red lens under ground glass as it serves no purpose other than to darken the finder which is generally considered a bad thing.

Fresnel overlays are, in my experience, not red/orange/amber they are clear. Here is a fresnel insert from a 40's speed graphic for comparison

View attachment 157153

All interesting! I'm curious what they will find in there!
Hi
I am just in the process of servicing this Flexaret Automat, for a friend. I removed the standard grid screen first, and then a red/orange filter which is a complete puzzle. As you previously mentioned, what’s the point of fitting a dark filter which affects the viewing lens. Any update you might have would be appreciated.

Hi
I am just in the process of servicing this Flexaret Automat, for a friend. I removed the standard grid screen first, and then a red/orange filter which is a complete puzzle. As you previously mentioned, what’s the point of fitting a dark filter which affects the viewing lens. Any update you might have would be appreciated.
Ask the tomb raiders at photrio---seriously.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back