Flickr

stapo49

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been uploading a lot more images to Flickr recently and while doing this have been browsing through images posted by others and favouring and commenting on the ones I like. Now I don't claim to be the leading authority on what constitutes a great image but I am sometimes amazed by how many "likes" and favourable comments some very mediocre images receive. Also how many followers the presenters of these images have. Is it just me or have others noticed this as well?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Don't get caught up in the Flickr likes thing, there are a lot of good photographers on there but like any social media it's prone to the same issues. A lot of the time it's a bit like instagram, people quickly flick through shots and like what grabs them without much thought. I've been suprised how many 'Faves' I can get on there for mediocre snapshots. Generally I only use it for sharing photos and not critique, or a baromiter of how good a shot is.

Personally I value the C&C I get here more than anything on any social media, though it's a lot more 'cushy' on here than it used to be.

I agree with @weepete about Flickr is a social site. Don't ask for critique and don't give any :) I do enjoy my usual group of people on Flickr and the schnauzer groups.

I agree with the above. I only ever use it as an intermediary to post here and never look at any comments there.
\

It's the same in any forum. You only need to look at some of the stuff on here that gets the old 'nice shot' type comments when often they are clearly poor shots for a number of reasons.

Sometimes folk can't even take positive criticism and advice on how a shot could be improved and see such as a personal slur.

For me forums should be a place of learning and improving but too often it's just simpler to say good shot, boost your post count and move on. IMO this is just lazy, poor form and helps nobody.

It's just the nature of the social media age I suppose.

It's the same in any forum. You only need to look at some of the stuff on here that gets the old 'nice shot' type comments when often they are clearly poor shots for a number of reasons.

Sometimes folk can't even take positive criticism and advice on how a shot could be improved and see such as a personal slur.

For me forums should be a place of learning and improving but too often it's just simpler to say good shot, boost your post count and move on. IMO this is just lazy, poor form and helps nobody.

So, what do you recommend? And I genuinely ask this question. I'm an amateur. I don't necessarily feel qualified to critique another's photo. I view the forum as partly social and as a place to learn from those who are more knowledgeable than me. If is see a photo I like I say "nice photo" or "like" it. When I can verbalize it, I say why. Should I respond differently?

So, what do you recommend? And I genuinely ask this question. I'm an amateur. I don't necessarily feel qualified to critique another's photo. I view the forum as partly social and as a place to learn from those who are more knowledgeable than me. If is see a photo I like I say "nice photo" or "like" it. When I can verbalize it, I say why. Should I respond differently?

I like to start with what I like, then go into what I feel is wrong. Making a suggestion to what you see is an issue can help. "I like the way you framed the subject between the trees. It looks like the focus is a little off, though. I usually try to focus on the eyes, and use as high a shutter speed as I can."

In the end, it's just an opinion.

Even if you have only ever seen one photograph you are 100% qualified to say what you think about the photograph. That should reflect how you see the image and potentially how it makes you feel. That is one aspect of the image. There is no right or wrong to this. This is where a photograph is make or break by the majority of the people viewing it.

On the other hand you have the technical details of the photo. This is where knowledge, experience and "book right" or "Book correct" comes in. This is where photographers usually fight about what is "right"......

Many, if not most of the great historically great photos are a far from technically correct, but the overall image conveys a feeling or a story that people connect with on an emotional level. Same is true for everyday images. A "technically correct" photo with a poor subject will be a very weak photo.

Just remember what you think or feel about an image may not be how others see it. That does not make your feelings wrong.

No not really. I think it's important to an extent to explain why you like a photo but often if it is indeed a good picture then it can simply be self explanatory by viewing the shot.

More importantly though is if you are going to comment on a bad picture, rather than just saying 'not good, 'that don't work', 'rubbish shot' etc etc is to explain why the shot is bad. Lets face it many bad shots are bad because they are bad and I'm not talking opinion here. They can be technically, compositionally bad, under exposed, over exposed, too high/slow a shutter speed, poorly focused etc etc the list is endless.

My issue is when a clearly substandard picture gets 'nice shot', 'good work', type comments when no reason is given for why a bad shot is liked. More importantly tho is if your going to comment on such shots, then imo constructive crit is the way to go with a view to explaining to folk how to improve a shot. There are however, some shots that are just fit for the bin but advice can still be given as how to approach such a shot in future.

I'm not sure about the rules etc on this Forum (MODS may like to clarify) but going by other photography Forums, it is the case that unless you specifically request for a photo not to be critted (ie posting in a 'Just For Fun' type sub-forum or with such a pre-fix) that any picture posted is open for criticism, good or bad.

You'll always get those who just repeatedly fire up 'Nice shot' replies to both worthy shots and to complete dross purely for the purposes for boosting their post count or appearing to be Mr Nice Guy, as if a higher post count gives them some sort of greater standing on the Forum. It doesn't, is a fail on both counts and wastes a lot of peoples time by having them believe that a crap shot is decent.

As I said before a lot don't like having issues in their photography pointed out to them, spit the dummy as if it's some sort of personal dig but those willing to learn and improve will take on board advice given and will indeed learn and improve.

Positive, constructive criticism done in a helpful way and not bland, dishonest and unhelpful comments are the way to go.

Now I don't claim to be the leading authority on what constitutes a great image but I am sometimes amazed by how many "likes" and favourable comments some very mediocre images receive.

They join groups where everyone just pats each other on the back to give themselves more views -- because a view count matters*.

*for what, I dunno.

Some people on Flickr have thousands of followers and no content posted at all.

I use Flickr as one of my back up storage drives and as a hosting site for posting photos here. I also enjoy the Flickr groups that have challenges like Macro Mondays, Sliders, Bokeh Wednesday, Fenced Friday - if I’m in need of motivation or having a creative slump, the challenges give me something specific to shoot which usually gets me back to creating on my own pretty quickly.

I’ve not seen critique posted in comments but some groups have discussions that involve critique.

No not really. I think it's important to an extent to explain why you like a photo but often if it is indeed a good picture then it can simply be self explanatory by viewing the shot.

More importantly though is if you are going to comment on a bad picture, rather than just saying 'not good, 'that don't work', 'rubbish shot' etc etc is to explain why the shot is bad. Lets face it many bad shots are bad because they are bad and I'm not talking opinion here. They can be technically, compositionally bad, under exposed, over exposed, too high/slow a shutter speed, poorly focused etc etc the list is endless.

My issue is when a clearly substandard picture gets 'nice shot', 'good work', type comments when no reason is given for why a bad shot is liked. More importantly tho is if your going to comment on such shots, then imo constructive crit is the way to go with a view to explaining to folk how to improve a shot. There are however, some shots that are just fit for the bin but advice can still be given as how to approach such a shot in future.

I'm not sure about the rules etc on this Forum (MODS may like to clarify) but going by other photography Forums, it is the case that unless you specifically request for a photo not to be critted (ie posting in a 'Just For Fun' type sub-forum or with such a pre-fix) that any picture posted is open for criticism, good or bad.

You'll always get those who just repeatedly fire up 'Nice shot' replies to both worthy shots and to complete dross purely for the purposes for boosting their post count or appearing to be Mr Nice Guy, as if a higher post count gives them some sort of greater standing on the Forum. It doesn't, is a fail on both counts and wastes a lot of peoples time by having them believe that a crap shot is decent.

As I said before a lot don't like having issues in their photography pointed out to them, spit the dummy as if it's some sort of personal dig but those willing to learn and improve will take on board advice given and will indeed learn and improve.

Positive, constructive criticism done in a helpful way and not bland, dishonest and unhelpful comments are the way to go.

I believe forum rules are that respectful critique can be offered in all Galleries except for the Just for Fun.

However, I usually won’t offer a detailed critique unless it’s asked for. Some people take it personally and it’s annoying to take the time to offer opinion and suggestions only to get push back and attitude. If I know the OP and know that they are open to other perspectives, then I may c&c even if it’s not specifically requested.

If someone wants critique it’s best to request c&c and to specify what areas you’re looking for critique on - exposure, lighting, pose, composition etc.

A lot of people just hit the like button without commenting. I think taking the time to comment - both here on TPF and on other sites like Flickr, Facebook and Instagram is so much more personal and engaging. Why be on the sites if you’re not going to engage with others?

I believe forum rules are that respectful critique can be offered in all Galleries except for the Just for Fun.

However, I usually won’t offer a detailed critique unless it’s asked for. Some people take it personally and it’s annoying to take the time to offer opinion and suggestions only to get push back and attitude. If I know the OP and know that they are open to other perspectives, then I may c&c even if it’s not specifically requested.

If someone wants critique it’s best to request c&c and to specify what areas you’re looking for critique on - exposure, lighting, pose, composition etc.

A lot of people just hit the like button without commenting. I think taking the time to comment - both here on TPF and on other sites like Flickr, Facebook and Instagram is so much more personal and engaging. Why be on the sites if you’re not going to engage with others?

Yeah, can't really argue with that and thanks for clarifying the point. It's as I thought but nice to have it confirmed any way.

On another forum I use out of three I am doing a weekly 52 on a set theme and technique. Years ago a member started joining in but got the right hump when some said highlights are blown etc etc so she left the forum.
Plus I try never to say nice shot, why is it a nice shot and why I like it I will say.

Helps to say why... Seems like peeps like anything/everything that crosses their internet path! lol I guess they're trying to be nice, friendly, or whatever, and I suppose that's better than the alternative. I don't have anything like Flickr (which I hardly use anymore anyway) set to public because I don't find it to be that helpful; doesn't matter to me what people I don't even know think, I'd rather get feedback from someone I know and whose opinion I value.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back