Best Thrift Store Find!! Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 ED w Optional SF-210 slide adapter.

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just wanted to share an amazing thrift store find! I like thrifting and this is probably the best thing that I have found. It is a Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 ED with the Optional Nikon SF-210 slide adapter. All this for $5.

It works amazing and I am quickly going through my parent's old slide film with this as well as film that I shoot.

Are there any thrifters on this forum? What are your best finds??

Attachments

• IMG_7514.jpg
    IMG_7514.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_7515.jpg
    IMG_7515.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 235
I love thrift stores, pawnshops and garage sales. Have a lot of hobbies and found many things for a fraction of retail, but think you win with this one. After Googling to see what it's going for......that's a really good score! Congrats.

Lots of photography related finds shared here. Last Saturday, at a pawnshop, found a Nikon wu-1a wireless adapter for 15.00. New. Sealed in the package. Today, at a thrift store, found a Nikon D90. 9.99 and senior day. 25% off. Just ordered a battery and charger. If it isn't a dud, I'll post more on it. Always lookin'........Never know what you'll find!

Hey nice score on that copier, great find!!
I’ve got at least one pretty amazing garage sale find.
As for Goodwill finds I bought an older Canon zoom Macro L lens for $10 that I never used so sold it for $150(going rate) a couple years later.
BUT I can match your $5 find at a garage sale!
About 30 years ago stopped at a garage sale and he had a camera bag I could use. You know, the typical bag that hangs on your hip via a shoulder strap. I only needed the bag and not all the junk that was stuffed into it. So I offered him $5 for the bag by itself. Playing hardball he said he wouldn’t sell the bag empty but would take $5 for the bag and everything in it. So I peered into the black void and could see a broken body and lots of photo junk. But I bought it and at home poured all the contents out. A bunch of odd sized film filters and other junk.
I threw most of it out!
BUT, this is where the story gets long, there was this old Nikon lens in there in a small plastic bag that was really weird! Small diameter, I think 37mm screw mount but was really heavy and seemed to be of really high quality. I thought it was a movie camera turret lens. You remember those old movie cameras that had three different size lenses you could rotate into position, that’s what I thought it was, or sorta resembled.
I was gonna throw it out but the quality didn’t let me. I threw it into my headboard cabinet instead where it lived for the next twenty years. Every time I cleaned out that headboard I would find it in there and stop just before it went into the garbage can!
Well about 5 years ago, now in the age of google, was just about to throw it out again when I thought I’d google it to see if anything would come up?!
Well, low and behold, it did come up and the mystery of the junk lens was finally discovered!!!
LoL, now it lives in my SAFE!!! LoL
Here’s a pic of it, you can google it yourself!!!
But I’m not very often thrift store lucky!!!
SS
C5BD57DE-BCDD-4B3E-AA66-1FB97B393C0F.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
That slide scanner is pretty awesome.

I do a lot of secondhand shopping. I don't find a lot of EOS-compatible lenses at thift stores these days, but my Rebel XS, Rebel K2, and the K2's kit lens combined were I think $80 at a used place I frequent ten years ago. I've had better luck with total supply at pawn shops but even then I end up digging through a bunch of XS/XSi/XT/XTi and other low-end, old cameras and kit lenses, or I find something cool but I already have as-good or better.

One Goodwill had a bunch of Sigma lenses for Sigma cameras, and I later found out that Sigma used the same communications protocol that Canon used (dating back to some kind of agreement) so coverting Sigma lenses to EF mount isn't especially hard, but only if you have the parts, which they're not inclined to sell anymore.

I would have pooped my pants coming across that in a thrift store. Big time score. All the goodwills in my area are the same, smelly stores full of junk and a bunch of time life cameras

I've found many good deals at my local thrift store (called Savers). I find typewriters worth $100-200 for $15. Found an obscure VHS tape movie for 50 cents that I sold to a collector for $75.

I've found many good deals at my local thrift store (called Savers). I find typewriters worth $100-200 for $15. Found an obscure VHS tape movie for 50 cents that I sold to a collector for $75.
Was that VHS tape The Wizard of Speed and Time or El Topo?

Was that VHS tape The Wizard of Speed and Time or El Topo?

It had Blood in the title.......I bought it cause the main star was Tiny Tim......LOL I was talking with a friend at a flea market and I mentioned that tape and the guy standing next to me wanted it bad and offered me $75.
I still watch VHS cause they are so cheap to buy and I don't "stream". Plus there are so many that to this day are still only to be found on VHS.

I'll put those 2 on my VHS list....you never know if they will turn up.

I found a rare copy of my favorite car chase movie from 1974 with the original soundtrack for 50 cents as well. Might be only worth $5 or so but I bought it for sentimentality.

MJ7bdqc.jpg

Last edited:
I like Dessert Industries... The Mormon Church runs a series of 17 stores that cover all of North America. It's like a Goodwill except that they have really cool stuff that was owned largely by members of the church...not so many garage and attic clean- outs as Goodwill, but stuff owned by church members. My Best Buys there have been two small point and shoot cameras. A Canon PowerShot G3 for $7.50 and a Nikon 12 megapixel pocket camera for the same price.

Last edited:
The best thrift store find I have (that's camera-related) was a 500/8 Nikkor mirror lens for $80. Used it until I got the 200-500 and ended up selling it for $400.

Found a Lowepro Nature Trekker AW ii backpack today. Looks new. 39.99. Green tags were 25% off. 32.xx out the door. Not a smoking deal, but better than new. (179.00) Still going for around 50.00 used on Ebay. Big pack and lots of room.

Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II Camera Backpack Review

Most reactions

New Topics

Back