Floaters!

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
No, not something from NYPD Blue or the nasty issues with septic waste...Eye Floaters?

As you may know I had cataract surgery and lenses replaced in both eyes. Everything in that regard went well. My eyes now test 20/20 and 20/25 . The issue is, I guess, that now my vision is clearer I see spots and a string-like floater in my eyes. Has no effect on my overall vision but it is distracting....like a dirty sensor! Everywhere I look these things move with!

Anyone else experience this?

Yeah, they are annoying. Cataract surgery didn't do anything to make them more clear though. Cataract surgery replaces the lens of the eye while floaters are in the fluid within the eye, behind the lens.

Mine come and go, sometimes really annoying sometimes barely noticeable. However I googled them once and when I saw impressions (sketches, something; I doubt they were any kind of photographs) I realized just how minor mine are. That actually made it easier for me to deal with them.

Yep, welcome to getting old. I'm also losing my hearing and thinking every day about what knee replacement surgery is like. My eye doctor told me I'd get used to them and pretty soon I wouldn't notice them at all -- still waiting for that.

Joe

I never noticed them before now? It's almost like a sheet of clear plastic with some crud on it. I know it's in the gelatinous area inside the eye,casting shadow but it's weird.

Yes, very normal. Moving your eyes rapidly will swish the fluid around to move them to a less noticeable spot.

Perhaps you had them before but were unable to see them because of the cataracts? Floaters are pretty common.

Yes, I believe that's the case. My eyes were obviously checked in great detail and healthy, otherwise.

I can sympathize. I still remember when I first started seeing them and that's been 30+ years. It scared me and I finally went to the doc who explained what they were. I have a friend these days who is a retired ophthalmic surgeon and tells me there is still nothing they can do about them.

I've found that when mine start annoying me it's best to just look at something dark for a few minutes so that they are less noticeable. That gets my mind to focus on something else and works better for me than just closing them. Also, as PropilotBW mentioned, moving the eyes rapidly tends to move them around into a less noticeable area.

Getting older is not for the faint of heart. It's just one of those little annoyances that you get accustomed to.

1dmjbn.jpg

I was
No, not something from NYPD Blue or the nasty issues with septic waste...Eye Floaters?

As you may know I had cataract surgery and lenses replaced in both eyes. Everything in that regard went well. My eyes now test 20/20 and 20/25 . The issue is, I guess, that now my vision is clearer I see spots and a string-like floater in my eyes. Has no effect on my overall vision but it is distracting....like a dirty sensor! Everywhere I look these things move with!

Anyone else experience this?
I wasn't laughing at you eye problem but the NYPD Blue,I hope this clears up for you.Now you got me worried because I need laser surgery to correct narrowing of the eye,I see better further away then up close far sighted I think. I have some sort of visual light test coming up. Doctor things makes me nervous, they always want to stick things in places that should't be stuck.

Last edited:
Yep, don't bother me for the most part. I have a really long stringy one that my eye doc says is a left over from my early fetal days.
Like others mentioned, if they are an issue a quick sideways glance usually will clear things up.

the small dots and things don't really bother me as much as the large stringy one which is just off to the right of my focus point. I've been trying moving my eyes around quickly but it doesn't move. If it's persistent,after a month I'll go back for an exam,it doesn't cost me anything but time.

Man it's gotta suck to get old guys :p I'm gonna figure out how to stay young forever!

But as has already been stated, they're particulate matter (usually dead tissue, random strings of proteins, etc) that end up in your vitreous humor, and cast a shadow on your retina.

No different than having dust on the rear element of a lens

Most reactions

Back