TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now accepting constructive criticism.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

You won't get any from me. Those shots are freakin' dynamite. Wow! Awesome stuff!

You won't get any from me. Those shots are freakin' dynamite. Wow! Awesome stuff!

Really? Wow, only my second outing and first time in aperture priority mode. I did some simple edits in iPhoto, and I'm still not sure if I have the eye for a good photo. I am slightly color blind, and I wonder how much it will affect my shots.

Research the rule of thirds and straighten your horizon in #3

#1 - Quite nice but I've seen more colourful sunsets. I like colour :) Also, cosider decentering your composition. Use the "rule of thirds" as Jaszek suggested.

#2 - Similar to #1 but not as good. The shot would have been better 5-10 minutes earlier.

#3 - Dull; too late. There's generally not much point in shooting landscapes for 1 hour after sunset because the light is too soft/nondescript, you can't tell if its night or day, and the photo looks just washed out. Also straigten the horizion and make sure the tree is sharp.

let me ask, when you take the photo are you using the rule of thirds, or do you wait until editing time and crop it? Should I be using the focus points on the sides more? I almost always use the center focus.

let me ask, when you take the photo are you using the rule of thirds, or do you wait until editing time and crop it? Should I be using the focus points on the sides more? I almost always use the center focus.

Oh, definitely do your compositions with the camera. I leave the "grid" on when I use my HD50 LCD screen, it makes lining things up on the thirds way easier.

The more you can accomplish behind the lens the better (imho).

Def do it with the camera. Just like Chairman, I leave my grid up at all times. I pretty much use the aperture to try and keep everything in focus.

I usually do it while doing the shot but if for some reason i don't i do it in PP

Thanks, So with the rule of thirds comment on these photos. Are you just saying that you would rather the horizon be offset? I thought they looked good with the sun right in the middle, and you get the sky and the beach in the shot.

How would you set this picture up to get the best shot?

If its in the middle it makes the eyes of the viewer compete between the sky and the beach in your example. If you show more of either one the eyes know where to look therefore making the image seem more pleasing.

Cool shots. Like everyone else said, rule of thirds. Also, in the first two, is there a little dust or something in the upper right corner, or is that just me?

you could also try making panoramic crops by cutting off some empty foreground, also with #3 the palm trees are a good compositions item, but not use very well in this shot

Straighten the shots, and definitely use the rule of thirds.

There is nothing wrong with the sun being in the middle, that's not what the "rule of thirds" is all about... (although I suppose you could move it)

Your main subject is not only the sun, but the horizon.........crop out some of the foreground and place the horizon along the lower 1/3 horizontal plane of the frame..

Or in the case of #3, you could have positioned yourself further to the right and brought the palms into the frame along the left vertical 1/3 plane... To fix it, according to this rather flexible rule, you need to again crop the foreground out to bring the horizon to the lower 1/3 horizontal plane, and crop out the vast sky to the right to position the interesting sky colors along the left 1/3 vertical plane...possibly with the outer palm just touching that line..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back