sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you missed the post on Day One, it's here.

If you're beginning to think I'm going to post a thread for every day of my vacation...well, yeah, I probably am. If you're lucky, I'll combine two days. :D

Day Two, Part One: Headed away from the Gulf Coast, and after meeting the infamous former TPFer Charlie Gipson and his gf for dinner, I headed to Lakeland, FL. On Monday morning, I headed to a place called Circle B Bar Reserve--it was very different from Ft. DeSoto, and every bit as amazing.

1. Glossy Ibis heads out as the sun rises
CircleB_4969editweb.jpg

2. Palm Warbler, I think?
CircleB_4961editweb.jpg

3. Limpkin Preening
CircleB_5067editweb.jpg

4. Wood Stork in flight. Yep, they look just as awkward whether they are flying or standing still!
CircleB_5041editweb.jpg

5. Glossy Ibis
CircleB_5159editweb.jpg

After wandering along several trails, seeing the birds above and a lot more, I was walking down a trail headed vaguely back towards the parking lot. I'd passed an elderly couple several minutes earlier, and at some point, as I stopped and looked around me, I heard them talking from WAY down the trail. That's when I noticed that they had a dog with them.
The thing is, I'd also noticed a sign as I came in that said "no pets allowed," so I was just a bit miffed that they'd ignored it and brought their dogs. Around my town, dogs are allowed at all the refuges, including our state birding park--I hate it, because the dogs often chase off the birds I've carefully been tracking for hours.

So, anyway, they have a dog. And it's walking toward me, as they are calling to it.

No, wait.

They aren't calling to the dog. They're calling to me.

Because it's not a dog.

It's THIS:
CircleB_5003editweb.jpg

By the time I realized what it was, the bobcat was close enough that there was little I could do besides just stand there and watch it (and take pictures). Fortunately, it seemed completely disinterested in my presence and just walked on by.

Oh, did I mention that it got really CLOSE??
This is an *uncropped* photo (though, granted, it is at 500mm):
CircleB_5011editweb.jpg

I'll add a few photos from the second destination for Day Two to this same thread in a little while (or maybe this evening). In the meantime, as always, you know the drill--general comments, C&C, witty banter, it all makes me feel loved and appreciated. Or at least like I've been paid attention to. :D

Attachments

• CircleB_5209editweb.jpg
    CircleB_5209editweb.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 127
  • CircleB_5203editweb.jpg
    CircleB_5203editweb.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 139
I love that place... you never know what you'll find there. I've never seen a Bobcat so that was an awesome chance encounter for you. I hate when people from up north come down here and capture things I can't find. :BangHead: (just kidding of course but I am a little jealous) And yes that's a Palm Warbler, all your ID's are right on.

I love that place... you never know what you'll find there. I've never seen a Bobcat so that was an awesome chance encounter for you. I hate when people from up north come down here and capture things I can't find. :BangHead: (just kidding of course but I am a little jealous) And yes that's a Palm Warbler, all your ID's are right on.

Thanks, Hunter! I wondered whether seeing the bobcat was unusual or just a "oh, yeah, you went to Circle B? You must have seen a bobcat, right?" sort of experience. It was pretty cool!

Also, in another first: I have never in my life been referred to as a person "from up north" before! :laughing:

Pretty kitty. You should have grabbed it for Lenny & me.:biggrin-93:

That sounds a little close for comfort, glad it didn't find you too interesting!

Your bird photos are absolutely beautifully done.

More great pics Sharon! I've seen 2 bobcats down here, but far in between and always at a pretty fair distance. I've heard they "can" be somewhat unruly........... your sighting was just a little too close for comfort for me. I would have shat myself!

ETA: yours looks like a big one too. I hear people say they're no bigger than a house cat, but the 2 I saw were much larger.

Last edited:
Fortunately, it seemed completely disinterested in my presence and just walked on by.

circleb_5011editweb-jpg.92992

I don't think that's a disinterested look. That a "sizing you up" look. That look says to me........... "Damn! Just 2" inches shorter and lunch!!"

Amazing set! Especially the close up of the bobcat. Andsurprisingly, I'm not jealous...I'm not.. not.

The closeup of the bobcat is best of the set.

Sharon, you're joining the elite. Those are impressive shots. And that intimate portrait you took of the cat - don't be surprised if more show up wanting to be photographed like that. :cool:

Sharon, nice shots, especially the bob cat. Did you get any shots of the numerous ospreys that hang around some parts of the Bar B? I was there on my annual visit last year and there were a lot of ospreys in trees in the small pond in the central part of the "ranch". I hope to get back there this year.

WesternGuy

Thanks for the comments, everyone; I really appreciate it!

Pretty kitty. You should have grabbed it for Lenny & me.:biggrin-93:

Well, I thought about it, but I wasn't really sure how much shipping on that sucker would cost, you know? :laughing:

More great pics Sharon! I've seen 2 bobcats down here, but far in between and always at a pretty fair distance. I've heard they "can" be somewhat unruly........... your sighting was just a little too close for comfort for me. I would have shat myself!

ETA: yours looks like a big one too. I hear people say they're no bigger than a house cat, but the 2 I saw were much larger.

I've seen one here at home (I mean, my home area, not literally AT my home) but it was also far away. There's also one that roams the woods at my brother's place, but I've never seen it.
This was, I'd say, about the size of a smallish coyote. Big enough to do damage if it so chose.

Sharon, you're joining the elite. Those are impressive shots. And that intimate portrait you took of the cat - don't be surprised if more show up wanting to be photographed like that. :cool:

Thank you SO much, Paul, but these are courtesy of some absolutely perfect conditions for shooting. Starting with Day 3, the weather took a gloomy turn and with the loss of light, we'll be back to my normal "a one-armed drunken monkey could do better" sort of quality. :D

Sharon, nice shots, especially the bob cat. Did you get any shots of the numerous ospreys that hang around some parts of the Bar B? I was there on my annual visit last year and there were a lot of ospreys in trees in the small pond in the central part of the "ranch". I hope to get back there this year.

WesternGuy

I saw a few Osprey, but not together. I don't think I took many, if any, photos of them though, because I was trying to refrain from taking a lot of pictures of birds I've already got. Osprey are so easy to find in my area during the spring and summer that I decided beforehand they would have to be doing something unusual or exciting to warrant turning the camera on them.
There was also a Bald Eagle. A Snail Kite had been seen just a few days earlier, so everyone was on the lookout for that, but it was never spotted--and it looks like from ebird that it hasn't been seen since.

When do you usually go down there?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back