Flower C&C

BNHPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First flower C&C. I know it's been done, and beat in the dirt all the way thru the earth's crust, but i wanted to give it a try...I like to take pictures of 'stuff' more than i do people, but since it's so much harder to do people, i usually post people C&C's so this is out of the ordinary, for me at least...
Self Critique: Too much DOF, the center of the flower is blurry, along with the tips of the flower..booo

25p2qtd.jpg

Bump? :)
I know it's just another picture of a flower, that isn't THAT special, but how could i make it more interesting?

Not sure about the flower, but the background is nicely blurred. The picture is kinda dull, you probably need some external flash with a diffuser to make the picture more brighter.

Kathy, you shot at f/1.8 and 1/2000 sec. Your DOF at the distance you were at is essentially 0 with f/1.8. If you stopped down to f/8, you would have had a DOF of about 4” and at f/16 you would have had 10” (source: Online Depth of Field Calculator). If you chose f/8, you would have had a shutter speed of 1/125 sec and would have had enough shutter speed to get a decent picture even handheld. If you had a tripod, you’d have shot at f/16 and 1/30sec, and you would have gotten the whole flower pretty much in focus.

On the image side, your histogram seems to show nothing blown, but you could do an adjustment on the saturation and the curves a little. Do you have access to any photo processing software?

I do, i use lightroom, i didn't do much to this but play with some highlights a little, i didn't take the picture in RAW *smacks head*, i'm such an idiot, but when i try to brighten the image it looses a lot of color =/
My name is Brandi :) Kathy is the lady i bought my camera from. I haven't had a chance to go in and update the name in my camera ;)

:blushing: OOOps! Sorry about that Brandi.

Do you have a tripod? Shooting flowers is MUCH easier with a tripod, as you can use a smaller f/stop without fear of blurring the shot with a slow shutter speed, and you can adjust your focus using live-view. As for shooting RAW, it's pretty easy if you set your camera to record both RAW and JPG. Then if you need to edit, you can go to the RAW easily. Canon's DPP software (I think it came on your camera's CD) isn't fantastic, but it does allow you some control over the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back