Flower & Steeple

TimboAA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thattimguy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a better title for this one. I like this photo, but I feel like it needs something....whether its a better crop or....I'm not sure. I feel like its almost where it needs to be though. So I'm calling it done for now.

f/7.1
1/160sec
36mm

flower1.jpg

Is there some significance to the steeple in the photo?- If there is, I'm not really putting it together with the rose. If not, the steeple and roof of the building are completely out of place. Unfortunately any crop would be so much that the photo would be lost as originally shot. I'd suggest studying up on composition (to me, comp -is- the photo) and reshoot with a 'vision'/direction/plan on how you want it to come out. Without building the shot, the rest don't matter. If a shot is reasonably constructed the rest will follow.

DigitalMatt, somewhere on the board has put some links up to some great tutorials that may help you out. I'll dig around later and see if I can find where they are and post later unless someone else has.

although i agree that the steeple doesn't really serve much purpose in the photo, it's not bad either, doesn't distract, but what does distract is how tilted it is... perhaps if you straighten it out a little, it'll be less so? of course, there is only so much you can do it before the roofline is overly slanted...

Meotter, its funny you mention that because I had actually rotated it to make the roof line of the steeple straight. I'll upload the other one in a second.

well, the problem is you can only have one or the other, so i guess a middle point is the best... right now the steeple is reallllllly distracting because it's pointing sideways... obviously if the roofline is overly steep, it's not going to be a good situation either...

i think that a obtuse angle would be your best situation... the only way to get that would be to reshoot and have the steeple on the left side of the image i think...

but going back to the point, the steeple doesn't really add to the shot, however, i think that this shot would be less distracting from the flower (which is obviously your target since it's the most in focus) if the steeple didn't draw your eye away so strongly.

the lighting looks to be good for the flower, if i was in the same situation shooting the same flower, i'd have considered more of a macro shot on just the flower with a more contrasting background. something that gets more detail and texture in the flower itself.

Ok, here it just rotated. Nothing else is done. And I'm done with the photo for the sake of the critical analysis forum. hehe.

flower2.jpg

meotter: i agree with the thought of a macro, it makes me wish I didn't return the macro lense i was borrowing. Reshooting and having the steeple on the left would have been difficult with the layout of the bushes/building. Maybe if the steeple was a little more out of focus? Perhaps if the leaves/twig coming out of the flower in the back were cloned out it might help? Oh well. I'll move onto other photos now.

P.S. What kind of flower is it?

wow, the original is a MUCH better shot. i really like the roof line slanting actually... night and day difference... that simple rotation made a shot that was aggravating to look at, into a very nice shot. kudos on unrotating :D

i'm not sure what type of flower it is.

Is there some significance to the steeple in the photo?- If there is, I'm not really putting it together with the rose. If not, the steeple and roof of the building are completely out of place. Unfortunately any crop would be so much that the photo would be lost as originally shot. I'd suggest studying up on composition (to me, comp -is- the photo) and reshoot with a 'vision'/direction/plan on how you want it to come out. Without building the shot, the rest don't matter. If a shot is reasonably constructed the rest will follow.

DigitalMatt, somewhere on the board has put some links up to some great tutorials that may help you out. I'll dig around later and see if I can find where they are and post later unless someone else has.

www.photoinf.com has excellent tutorials with examples on composition.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back