Flower - Trying This Out

flowness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's not a recent shot - from a vacation we took about a week after we got the camera, so this was on our shakedown cruise. Partly posting just to get the hang of the photo-uploading thingy, and figured I might as well lead off with something that (I think) wasn't horrid. But feel free to comment.
Not sure exactly what these guys are called, I want to say "Snowdrop" or something like that ... but it was in the Olympic peninsula, and we have nothing like this near us, so I'm not at all certain.
So, here it is (I hope):

View attachment 6053

According to my saved data, here are the specs: f/10, 1/400, iso 1600 w/no flash. Camera was in "P" mode.

Nice pic.

May have been better in "M" mode. I'd have exposed it up one stop or so.

Plus I'd have had the shutter not quite as fast allowing that ISO to decrease.

Ditto on the shutter speed/ISO. The entire image shows noise, and the D40 isn't really a good one to use 1600 with. You're also underexposed 2/3 stop.

Yeah I didn't like the ISO either. Weirdest thing, the camera would NOT let me change it. No idea why, and then suddenly about 6 mo ago, changed its mind. I had tried everything I could come up with, and still don't know why it finally worked. But now I can change ISO all I like - and haven't gone back to 1600 since.
I feel like I got through orientation and now the camera-ghost has decided I can be trusted.

Honestly, the composition leaves a lot to be desired. You centered the buds dead center, it's under exposed, and has quite a lot of nose. It's not a recent photo, so how old is it? Is this still your current level, or do you have more current work?

As far as testing to see if you can upload pictures, it's just as easy to use the preview button, then delete the post when you're sure you can post pictures.

Most reactions

Back