thoughts...
critiques?

flyseries6.jpg

flyseries3.jpg

flyseries4.jpg

1) red right below the leaf is distracting
2) good capture. best of ur 3 shots imop
3) out of focus

1. Focus looks spot on, unfortunately he is looking away and the lighting is a tad harsh.
2 & 3. Focus looks just a bit off.

I have yet to get a tac sharp photo of an insect...its hard!

Okay, let me start off by saying they all look a tad out of focus.
1: lighting is harsh, but sometimes you cant help that. In post, try not to bump the contrast or levels, whatever you bumped too high to have the background that dark. Dont do that. It just doesnt look natural and the fly looks worse off because of it.
2: Same contrast/levels problem as #1. Also looks a tad oversharpened.
3: Underexposed and out of focus. This one could have been a good shot.

What lens were you shooting these with? Macro photography is hard stuff, especially with critters. Keep it up. Youll get the hang of it.

Mark

Okay, let me start off by saying they all look a tad out of focus.
1: lighting is harsh, but sometimes you cant help that. In post, try not to bump the contrast or levels, whatever you bumped too high to have the background that dark. Dont do that. It just doesnt look natural and the fly looks worse off because of it.
2: Same contrast/levels problem as #1. Also looks a tad oversharpened.
3: Underexposed and out of focus. This one could have been a good shot.

What lens were you shooting these with? Macro photography is hard stuff, especially with critters. Keep it up. Youll get the hang of it.

Mark

Thank you for the constructive critism, it is very much appreciated!
I was shooting with 18-55/3.5-5.6G VR. I am thinking that a macro lens will be in the near future. Just getting back into this, first week with a DSLR... It's very exciting. My last camera that wasn't a point and shoot was an SLR... I will go back post edit and take another look. All I did in Gimp though was auto white level.
Thanks again

Welcome back, then! Word of advice, dont go less than 100mm for a macro lens if you can help it. You will enjoy the extra reach.

Mark

I did a quick, 30s edit of the second one, to show you what I mean about being underexposed. I couldnt really do too much, but I think it helped a tad.

tank11-1.jpg

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back