What's new

Focal points

jennhunter

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I know this may be a stupid question, and I apologize if it has been asked and answered before. I understand toggling between focal points on my camera to focus on a certain subject of the frame, however, when photographing more than one subject, or a large group of people, where do I want my focus to be? I have found that when taking photos of more than one person, that only one of those people end up being completely focused (and that is if I am lucky:).
 
Ok, I know this may be a stupid question, and I apologize if it has been asked and answered before. I understand toggling between focal points on my camera to focus on a certain subject of the frame, however, when photographing more than one subject, or a large group of people, where do I want my focus to be? I have found that when taking photos of more than one person, that only one of those people end up being completely focused (and that is if I am lucky:).
You have to allow enough depth-of-field by selecting the right aperture. You also have to understand the dimensions of the DOF (where it starts and where it ends) so you can select the right focal point. Photos where everyones face is on a plae parallel to the image sensor tend to be pretty boring.

DOF tends to be 1/3 in front of and 2/3 behind your focal point, however, it can also be 50/50.

Check out Online Depth of Field Calculator
 
A "rule of thumb" is f/8 to f/11 and focus 1/3 of the way in. It depends on how many rows of people I guess. If it's two rows, focus on the persons in front row. If three or more, 1/3 way in, but I would still try and put the focus on someones eyes.

It really depends on the focal length of the lens, and the distance. use THIS to calculate it.

As was mentioned, posing to get folks on a more even plane would be helpful too.

EDIT: Ketih beat me to it and answered while I was typing. Good point on getting on too even of a plane can get boring.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom