Focus and recompose, toggle AF points or a bit of both?

How do you focus

• Toggle using AF points

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Focus and recompose

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A combination of both

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have always used the AF point toggle switch to focus on my subject. With the limited focus points on the 5100, I do sometimes have to back it out a bit to get my main subject under the closest point then will crop it afterwards to fit my ideal composition. I have missed the occasional shot due to fussing with the AF points, especially when trying to take candid family photos. I see a lot of posts on here mentioning the focus and recompose method so starting to wonder if I am missing the boat.

I can see how focus and recompose will work in a very controlled environment but if that is what you are working with, why not just use the AF points? If you recompose and move the camera and change the angle even slightly, or your subject moves a bit while you're recomposing, wouldn't that throw the focus off? (I'm thinking head movement with a children's portrait) Is it only an issue if you're wanting a shallow DOF? I'm going to work on focus/recomposing this week to see if I find it easier/faster/more accurate than my usual method. Any tips for doing it correctly? Any pitfalls to watch out for? When you shift the shot to recompose, do you move the camera or yourself? Does it make a difference? I do understand the need to not release the shutter after focusing.

I move the AF points; occasionally I will recompose a bit, but only just a very small amount. The main pitfall in "focus & recompose" is DoF. If you focus on one point (say eye), and recompose on an area on a different plane of focus (say nose), things might be a little OOF.

I do a bit of both depending on the situation. If I recompose I'm usually farther away creating a larger DOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your responses. Sounds like I should stick to my usual toggle MO but I'll give the f/r method some practice this week so I can pull it out of my hat if needed.

I move the AF points; occasionally I will recompose a bit, but only just a very small amount. The main pitfall in "focus & recompose" is DoF. If you focus on one point (say eye), and recompose on an area on a different plane of focus (say nose), things might be a little OOF.

+1 to this.
Indeed its one reason I dislike the Canon 7D battery grip because it has no AF point toggle button of its own so its always a painful finger stretch to reach that whilst in portrait aspect.

As said focusing and recompose can work, but its got pitfalls - I generally only ever use it on a lens that has fulltime manual focusing - and I use back-button AF so that I can simply focus and recompose and then make any adjustments without the AF being a problem (because I just don't put my thumb down on the button and it never engages - this also lets me live in continuous AF mode*)

*of which the only major downside is having to remember that it thus won't work with AF assist beams from a flash ;)

I used to focus and recompose, and missed a lot of shots because they were out of focus. So now, I always try to use a focus point, if I don't have an AF point where I want my subject, and I have the time, I jump into live view with "unlimited" AF points, and just use contrast AF.

I do a bit of both depending on the situation. If I recompose I'm usually farther away creating a larger DOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do this as well. In much of my shooting, the depth of field is great enough that the difference is irrelevant (to make sure I wasn't overstating it, I put the calculation for the first recent photo that came to mind, and the depth of field was 10.3ft-infinity). It's worth thinking through some common shooting scenarios and plugging them into something like DOFMaster (and a little trigonometry) to see how much it really matters. There's a huge difference between wide-angle landscapes on Micro Four-Thirds and 85mm headshots on full frame.

My attempts at focus and recompose have mostly resulted in slightly OoF issues due to a too-thin DOF. So now, I limit my use to shots where I know my DOF is sufficient...say, f5.6 or smaller aperture. If I want to get more 'wild', I'll change camera settings to select a different AF point.

Focus and recompose has always worked best for me. I keep my focus point locked in the center.

at most apertures over 2.8 I will focus and recompose (85mm full length portrait) but at anything with less DOF it's using a focus point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back