"Focus Breathing" issues: 70-200 VRII?

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A feature of most macro lenses today is that, as part of the optical formular for focusing closer, they reduce the focal length of the lens itself. So many are a good 10mm or more shorter at their closest focusing distance than at their further, more regular distances.

I assume he's meaning that the 70-200mm also has a similar property, whereby it focuses closer at a cost to its focal length; however as to how much this affects things with regard to comparing the two lenses I've no idea and you'd have to try them out side by side to really get a feel for things.

According to what I've read the Nikkor 70-200vrII isn't truly 200mm at close range, like under 10' if I recall correctly. This was a complaint of some who upgraded from the VRI version. Personally I don't find it an issue ;)

Yep. It's a close focus issue and focus breathing is common to all zoom lenses to one degree or another.

Nikon's 18-200mm superzoom focus breaths so bad that when set to 200 mm, but used to focus near it's near focus limit, the lens is only giving a magnification equivelent to a focal length of 135 mm.

Wait why does it have 3 gripped wheels on the barrel?
I mean focus - zoom - what's the 3rd one for?

*ps now I recall that when this lens came out there was a flurry of posts about its breathing*

Thanks everyone.

And thanks Derrel, the article clearly explains breathing plus specifically how the 70-200 lens behaves.

Good review... hadn't seen that one! I had wondered about the focal length loss percentages at closer distances with this lens... but I have never found it to be a major issue. It is probably my favorite lens... glad to know it performs that well on the FX bodies also since I am seriously thinking D800 when they come out...

Wait why does it have 3 gripped wheels on the barrel?
I mean focus - zoom - what's the 3rd one for?

*ps now I recall that when this lens came out there was a flurry of posts about its breathing*

Third one does nothing...just there... :)

Most reactions

Back