Focus & DOF options.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a little experiment to demonstrate various options in macro photography. I used a Minolta Celtic 50/3.5 macro lens.

1. In this shot I focused on the centre/nearest part of the seed-head with the lens wide open @ f3.5.

P1020558sm.jpg

You see that the perimeter of the seed-head is quite soft.

2. This shot is taken as above but I changed the focus to the perimeter of the seed-head.

P1020559sm.jpg

Now the centre is soft but the perimeter is sharp. This is my preference between the two.

3. With this last shot I re focused on the centre/near & stopped the lens down to f12 to increase the depth of field so as to have most of the subject in focus.

P1020562sm.jpg

This has the effect of having the background becoming distracting.

I am interested in the preference of others with these options.

I like your demostration as aperature settings make me hesitate because of the whole dof and smaller/larger vs lght. I do shoot that way though, makes me think about the shot longer. I prefer #1, the blur in the center of the picture is distracting to me, maybe if it was offset more it wouldnt. #3's background can be burred in PP and made less distracting yet keep its crispness of subject.

This has the effect of having the background becoming distracting.

Frame the macro shot tighter if the bokeh isn't to your liking.

However, I don't find the hexagonal bokeh any more distracting than the circular bokeh in the other shots.

What DOES make a difference, to me, is that my eyes aren't straining to focus on the entire object in #3, like they are in #1 & #2. Much more pleasing not having to work to find the focus.

Frame the macro shot tighter if the bokeh isn't to your liking.

The problem with getting in closer is that even with the lens stopped down the DOF will be greatly reduced.

However, I don't find the hexagonal bokeh any more distracting than the circular bokeh in the other shots.

What DOES make a difference, to me, is that my eyes aren't straining to focus on the entire object in #3, like they are in #1 & #2. Much more pleasing not having to work to find the focus.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have been trying to do this very experiment to remind myself how it works. I wasn't having much luck with my kit lens and my choice of subject, framing, etc.

Thanks again!
Susan

I LOVE FLUFFY FLOWERS

Sometimes it's good to have the whole subject (or object) in focus and nothing else, but not always. At least that's what I'm taking from this. I definitely prefer both #1 and #2 to the last, same as Fatty but I can't explain why exactly. Maybe because the pentagon shaped bokeh in #3 is a bit distracting, maybe be less noticeable if it were round (I know it's an effect of stopping down on your lens, just saying). Kind of liking #2 the most because the sharp perimeter really separates it from the background.

Excellent demo Ron. Each shot is subtly different. On this subject, the differences are very small, but they are there, and visible. I like the first and third photos. In the first photo, I see what looks like wind motion blur, combined with beautiful lighting,and it looks nice. The second photo seems to emphasize the first couple of seeds that have disengaged from the main dandelion. The third photo's background rendering is a bit intrusive,and that's the picture I like the least.

Thanks for taking the time Ron. That's a good macro demo. *thanked*

This post helpful to me.
It gives me a cool idea for Macro photography tomorrow.

Thank You. :hug::

Thanks Ron for the demo. I just want to add that sometimes, we can use a technique called Focus Stacking. (Especially for subject that don't move around much)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back