Focus Frustrations...

kass617

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I was messing around with the D90 yesterday and my new 50mm 1.4D, and just for fun I threw on the SB600, because I was gonna take some shots of my wife in the house. I took about 20 pictures with different setting, and they looked pretty good as thumbnails, but then when I opened them up for some pp, I wasn't getting good focus on the eyes. I tried a couple of the Auto-focus modes, and manual focus, but most of them were just off by a bit.... I wish I had some pic's to post but I deleted them out of frustration. Any tips on how to get better at focusing? Is there something I'm missing?

What were your auto focus settings. Go into the menu and post them here.

My 35 1.8 does something similar. Objects that appear in crisp focus are actually in front of the DoF. It's kind of annoying. I have to guess where the focus actually is.

I would also like tips on dealing with this.

What were your auto focus settings. Go into the menu and post them here.

I wanted to include that, but I'm at work now, I won't have access to my camera until later on today.

This happens frequently when people first get a fast lens.

The DOF with the lens wide open can be very shallow.

Go here: Online Depth of Field Calculator and plug in some numbers to see what the dimensions of the DOF are.

On a D90 a 50 mm at f/1.4 and the focal point 4 feet away the lens provides a total DOF of only 0.11 feet (about 1.3 inches) and the sharpest focus is in the middle of that 0.11 feet.

If the photographer moves closer or farther after the camera has focused.......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back