Focus motor...really necessary? or luxury.

Derrel makes good points by adding some details.

I too have mentioned that many of those older screw-drive AF Nikon lenses are much more expensive than most D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100 owners will be willing to pay.

Derrel makes good points by adding some details.

I too have mentioned that many of those older screw-drive AF Nikon lenses are much more expensive than most D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100 owners will be willing to pay.

Thank you for your advice too. You guys saved me a lot of grief. I hope I'm making a good choice by going with nikon instead of Canon.

If you plan on using a lot of primes, then it's worth getting the AF motor. Most quality zooms come in AF-S flavors, and the older AF zoom lenses don't typically perform as well as modern lenses.

However older prime lenses perform fantastically, there aren't many AF-S primes, and the ones that do exist cost twice as much as the AF versions they replaced.

The newer versions cost more because they have newer optics, like more ED glass element. The AF-S auto focus motor doesn't add much, if any to the price of a lens. Other differences in build, or other better but less costly materials or assembly procedures can off-set the cost of the focus motor.

KmH said:
The newer versions cost more because they have newer optics, like more ED glass element. The AF-S auto focus motor doesn't add much, if any to the price of a lens. Other differences in build, or other better but less costly materials or assembly procedures can off-set the cost of the focus motor.

True, but old primes were so good to start with, the difference is not that great--especially considering the massive price jump.

Does the screw drive auto focus work as fast as in lens AF?

Usually, the AF-S protocol lenses focus the fastest. BUT, there are some exceptions: for example, the new Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S G lens is a slooooooooow focuser; the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 AF and AF-D models kick its BUTT in autofocusing speed for single-distance, one-shot AF acquisition. THis lens, the new 50mm 1.4 AF-S is a direct opposite to most AF-S lenses; it has slooooooow focusing. Not sure why.

One area where AF-S mops the floor over screw-drive is in continuous follow-focus shooting, like in say track and field, over long sequences, the AF-S lenses will "follow" the action more reliably than screw-drive lenses, for the most part.

The strength and capability of the AF module determines a lot of how a lens focuses; the "pro" Nikons used to have better AF modules than the mid-level cameras, but lately Nikon has put the same AF module in the mid-level and the top-level bodies.

i thought i would want it when i had a d5000, i purchased a d7000 as my next camera and bought a 50 1.8 af-d, it was too soft at 1.8 so i got rid of it. Since i started with slr and didnt have a film slr, i dont think the motor was nescessary. When i didnt have it tho, i really wanted it, its just a luxury unless u have lenses already. Wireless cls function tho thats another story.

If you are planning to get a 50mm f/1.8, f/1.4, or 85mm f/1.8 already. It maybe cheaper to get the D90/D7000.

D5100 + 50mm + 85mm G lenses may about the same (or less) D90 + 50mm + 85mm D lenses.

Most reactions

Back