Focus problem with SEL180200LE

pbladh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently bought a SEL18200LE lens for my NEX-5n camera. I works well in most situations, but when setting it to approximately 90mm for portrait photography, standing about 8 feet away from the model, it tends not be able to auto focus. The focus warning lamp blinks green and it never sets the focus. The image in the lcd screen doesn't change at this time, i.e. it doesnt look like its trying. The focus is not very off, just a little, but because it never indicates focus set, I'm not able to manually after-adjust.

Has anybody else experienced the same thing? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

I got a response from Sony support (on new years day!). Changing the autofocus area helped me a bit. Here's the complete response for anybody who might be interested:

You may try the suggestions below whenever the lens will not autofocus.
1. You can change the autofocus area to either center or flexible spot.
? Center: If you would want to focus in the center of the frame.
? Flexible Spot: You can specify which autofocus point will the camera use.

2. I can see that you are in to portrait photography. Ensure that the camera is set to the correct autofocusing mode. In this type of genre, AF-S is the most appropriate setting. You can check this function by:
? Press the Menu button.
? Look for Camera.
? Select Autofocus mode.

3. If you are taking pictures indoor, ensure that your subject is well lit. In case that there is no enough light, using the AF Illuminator is recommended. You can access this setting by:
? Press the Menu button.
? Go to Setup.
? Look for AF Illuminator and set it to Auto.

4. If there is no response from the lens when the shutter button is half pressed, you can try to remove and reattach the lens to confirm its contact to the camera body.
5. You can also check if this specific concern is happening on all shoot mode on the camera.
6. To isolate the issue properly, you can mount the camera on a tripod.

it helps when you know how to adjust to focus settings.

Well, finding it wasn't the problem, rather to know that it might be an issue. Didn't help super much though. I'm trying to use natural light from a window, but that type of light doesn't seem to be enough for the camera/lens autofocus function. Works better when getting some more distance to the model.

Yeah, the all in one lenses like the 18-200 never work well.

Most reactions

Back