Focus-Recompse: Can I get your thoughts?

Later today I think I'll do more testing on this, I'll print out some targets and see if I can see a difference at 100%.
OK, I did the test shots. I can't tell the difference. Here's the pics - all 100% crops taken with the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro on a 350D (on a tripod), at a distance of 52.5 inches:

Center focus point, f/2.8
IMG_3804.jpg

Center focus point, f/4
IMG_3805.jpg

Center focus point, f/5.6
IMG_3806.jpg

Center focus point, f/8
IMG_3807.jpg

Center focus point, f/11
IMG_3808.jpg

Focus - Recompose, f/2.8
IMG_3809.jpg

Focus - Recompose, f/4
IMG_3810.jpg

Focus - Recompose, f/5.6
IMG_3811.jpg

Focus - Recompose, f/8
IMG_3812.jpg

Focus - Recompose, f/11
IMG_3813.jpg

Can you see any difference?

Maybe it needs to be a 3 dimensional object to see any difference? I'm might try this again later with another target, but I'm not sure if it'll really matter anyway. I'm not seeing any real difference here.

My peeve with that quoted paragraph is... who takes GOOD portrait pictures with a 2" DOF?? The distance from the ears to the tip of the nose is ALWAYS going to be more, so... why do something dumb like that in the first place?? Simple... you are not sure of what you are doing or what you NEED to do to get the shot.

Same people that insist that the only way to take portrait shots (in less light) is without flash using the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (for example) and shoot at full wide f/2.8. The same people that believe that any lens with a max aperture of less than f/2.8 is worthless.

Sorry.. just ranting a little....

usayit ... errr... YOU SAID IT! My lens may say 2.8 on it, but it doesn't get used at that aperture all that much.

Most reactions

Back