focus ring hitting little 'bumps' as i turn it (in manual focus)

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a canon 50mm 1.8 (2 months old)

ive just started having an issue where, when in manual focus, as i turn the ring i hit these little bumps, almost as if there is debris. Its just enough so that if you were turning very gently, it would come to a stop at these points, I can give just a tiny extra force to keep turning but it is slightly annoying. I dont actually think it is debris, i think it has something to do with the auto-focus mechanism, just has that feel but i could be wrong. there are two spots in the rotation where this happens.

i know the build quality on these is cheap but it still seems like it shouldnt start having any weird issues 2 months in. Is this a common thing or should i get it checked out?

Question, did you leave the AF on?

If so, place it in Manual.

You shouldn't touch the focus ring when in AF, it could break the gears.

Hmm, I thought with the EF lenses that the manual focus ring would disengage when in AF ... or at least it did in the old days.

i dont try and move it manually when its in AF, i dont think it will even let me. I pretty much only use it in manual mode anyway.

If its debris in the gears, should i be concerned?

i dont try and move it manually when its in AF, i dont think it will even let me. I pretty much only use it in manual mode anyway.

If its debris in the gears, should i be concerned?

Are you still within warranty? I'd take it back, or at the very least Call Canon

Phone Number for your specific problem:

1-(800) OK-CANON

thanks for the number, i think ill call today... should still be under warranty i think, its only a couple months old.

i was using it again this morning and one of those spots fell right on my focus which was extremely irritating

just to update, I was able to send in the lens and get it fixed free of charge as it was under warranty. I just got it back yesterday and it seems perfect, the slip stated that they replaced the focusing unit.

I originally bought the lens at a ritz camera store in boston but while cleaning one day, my girlfriend threw away the box, receipt, and any other paperwork thinking it was trash. Luckily Ritz could send me an email with the purchase information so i could have the repair covered by the warranty (just in case that ever happens to you, dont panic!).

Only the higher end/newer EF lenses are full time manual. The less expensive lenses like the 50mm 1.8 and focus-by-wire lenses like the 85L aren't full time manual. Like others have said, trying to manual focus the 50mm 1.8 when it's set to AF will damage the lens.

Only the higher end/newer EF lenses are full time manual. The less expensive lenses like the 50mm 1.8 and focus-by-wire lenses like the 85L aren't full time manual. Like others have said, trying to manual focus the 50mm 1.8 when it's set to AF will damage the lens.

my original post:
ive just started having an issue where, when in manual focus , as i turn the ring i hit these little bumps,

i dont know if you are trying to tell me this just stating this for the general discussion but since it seems to have been said a few times since i posted this, im just going to clarify again that i was in the manual focus mode and understand that I cannot, nor should i try to, adjust the focus while in the auto-focus mode... especially with my fresh new focusing unit : )

Question, did you leave the AF on?

If so, place it in Manual.

You shouldn't touch the focus ring when in AF, it could break the gears.

Canon glass with USM motors have full time manual focus override so not really an accurate blanket statement. On the f1.8 however you are correct as it has a DC motor instead of a USM motor.

I originally bought the lens at a ritz camera store in boston but while cleaning one day, my girlfriend threw away the box, receipt, and any other paperwork thinking it was trash. Luckily Ritz could send me an email with the purchase information so i could have the repair covered by the warranty

That's what you get for not putting things in their proper place.
:lol:

Jerry

I originally bought the lens at a ritz camera store in boston but while cleaning one day, my girlfriend threw away the box, receipt, and any other paperwork thinking it was trash. Luckily Ritz could send me an email with the purchase information so i could have the repair covered by the warranty

That's what you get for not putting things in their proper place.
:lol:

Jerry
So what is this ex-girlfriend doing now. I have every box for every body, lens etc I own along with every receipt, booklet and warranty card. Amazing how having those little things can become important when selling a lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back