Focusing a Nikon 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S (at f/1.2) on Nikon DF

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a really neat manual focus Nikon 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S on a Nikon DF.

I have no problem focusing this (using Nikon's green arrow/dot focusing points) manually at f/3.5 or larger (which looks incredible). However, when I try to open this up at f/1.2 - 2.0 I miss 90% of the shots because they are out of focus even if the green dot focus point says it is in focus.

Other than swapping out the focusing screen to a split focusing system, is there a way to more reliable way to focus this neat lens at f/1.2-2.0?

What are some tips and tricks to using this lens?

Have a look here:
Nikon Df - AF issues?

Depending on subject distance, DOF will be thin at the those apertures. The D600 AF module isn't a top shelf unit.

Focus from infinity to closer distance. Move the focusing ring briskly. as soon as it looks good,stop turning the focusing ring.

you might have to make a tiny reverse direction correction. The problem is that newer autofocus focusing screens show The view through the lens as an effective F 5.6 aperture or less, meaning around F 6.3 in the case of Canon's new extremely bright screens. Old split focusing screen technology gave you a pretty good indication of the actual depth of field at wide apertures.

If there is any consolation it is that when shooting digital you don't have to pay $0.50 for film and prints which are substandard and out of focus.

One possible solution, with static subjects at least, is to focus bracket for five or six shots on each scene.

When one is focusing visually going from infinity to closer distance works with our ability to differentiate between in focus and out of focus could if you go from close distance and toward infinity the transition from out of focus to InFocus is rather slow. When one begins at infinity and focuses closer there is a rapid transition from infinity toward the correct focusing distance. If you look carefully at the focusing scale on the lens, you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
Some manual focus normal lenses in the 50 to 55 mm length are fairly hard to focus. I have an F/1.8 super Takumar that has a very slow focus throw and which is very hard to focus manually

You may be experiencing front or back focussing and I would suggest you calibrate each of your lenses to your cameras focus indicator. I have had great success with the DotTune method and as long as you can set up a target and get your measurements spot on, you will achieve great results.

An excellent video can be found here and the only thing you need is to print off the hires focus target, a measuring tape, tripod and some note paper, the process is free.

I have a really neat manual focus Nikon 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S on a Nikon DF.

I have no problem focusing this (using Nikon's green arrow/dot focusing points) manually at f/3.5 or larger (which looks incredible). However, when I try to open this up at f/1.2 - 2.0 I miss 90% of the shots because they are out of focus even if the green dot focus point says it is in focus.

Other than swapping out the focusing screen to a split focusing system, is there a way to more reliable way to focus this neat lens at f/1.2-2.0?

What are some tips and tricks to using this lens?
I've found Nikon's electronic rangefinders to be pretty accurate for about f/4.0 and smaller apertures (larger aperture numbers). At larger apertures, and especially for closeups and telephoto shots when depth of field is shallow, I prefer a plain focusing screen. Viewfinder magnifiers are useful here.

Most reactions

Back