Focusing quickly??

Nessy024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone help me on how to focus quickly on my subject? Should i get use to manual focus? Because i feel like that would take even longer as i move to different things....i dont want to miss anything!! And im using a 50mm 1.4 so i haveeee to focus on the right subject that moment...or else blurrryyyy!And please no sarcastic answers....im not in any special photography school and im only trying to learn...thanks :)

Patience. Practice. Patience.

This is not sarcasm. I am very serious.

Nessy024 said:
Can anyone help me on how to focus quickly on my subject? Should i get use to manual focus? Because i feel like that would take even longer as i move to different things....i dont want to miss anything!! And im using a 50mm 1.4 so i haveeee to focus on the right subject that moment...or else blurrryyyy!And please no sarcastic answers....im not in any special photography school and im only trying to learn...thanks :)

Autofocus is quicker. Are you shooting at 1.4 with that 50? And your obviously having focusing errors?

If you choose a smaller aperture f/5.6 then you'll probably have less focusing errors. 1.4 gives you such a shallow depth of field that it can be hard to nail focus. You don't have to shoot at 1.4. Plus shooting wide open (1.4) can cause soft images even if you nail the focus.

Check out an online DOF calculator.

Well wih that 50 1.4 depending on your distance from the subject you will have a farily narrow dept of field and if the subject moves back or forth or you, then sure it will be out of sharp focus.

What aperture are you shooting at? Please post photos showing the problem you are having...

AF is almost always going to be faster than manually focusing, as long as you know what you're doing. If you let the camera choose the focus points, or if you don't put your single focus point in the right place, you will loose time.

As for the speed of achieving focus, the amount of light/contrast will make a difference. The model of the camera will make a difference. The lens will make a difference.
I believe the Canon 50mm F1.4 (if that's what you have) has an ultrasonic motor (USM) but it actually still drives the focus via gears, so it's not the fastest focusing lens. Several Canon lenses use a 'ring' USM type focus motor, which doesn't use any gears...so they are very quick and almost silent as they focus.

DEFINITELY not manual focus. If you are focusing on moving subjects AI servo or continuous focus. Use a narrower aperture to keep a larger DOF. Shooting at 1.4 is not ideal for almost anything. Your DOF is so narrow that if the subject moves just a fraction of an inch it can throw your focus off. I am guessing you are trying to shoot wide open. Wide open is also not the sharpest your lens will be either, so stopping it down will help in the depth of field as well as the overall sharpness.
Make sure you are shooting in ample light for the camera to lock on contrast.

DEFINITELY not manual focus. If you are focusing on moving subjects AI servo or continuous focus. Use a narrower aperture to keep a larger DOF. Shooting at 1.4 is not ideal for almost anything. Your DOF is so narrow that if the subject moves just a fraction of an inch it can throw your focus off. I am guessing you are trying to shoot wide open. Wide open is also not the sharpest your lens will be either, so stopping it down will help in the depth of field as well as the overall sharpness.
Make sure you are shooting in ample light for the camera to lock on contrast.

We are on the same page......at least we think we knew what the OP meant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back