Focusing rial for macro photography

Hi, i was looking for a focusing rial and i saw this one:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 454 Micrometric Positioning | 454

Do you think it will do a good work?

also i dont know if i just need to put that thing in the tripod or how does it work?

thanks

It will work fine. And yes will need to be on a tripod. It has a 1/4 -20 thread for tripod mount in the bottom.

BUT....

I would suggest this one instead. It gives you 4 way movements for better alignment control.

MFRS Adorama Budget Macro Focusing Rail Set with 4 Way, Fine Control, Camera Focusing Rail for Macro Photography.

Little less expensive too. We have one and use it quite a bit. Had it for about 3-4 years now and no signs of weakness. Should last a long time.

thanks :) so i dont need a head for the tripod+the focusing rial right?

the one you showed me looks better thanks again

I checked out this thread just to learn what a 'rial' is.
Still don't know.
But, I have seen focusing rails before.

thanks :) so i dont need a head for the tripod+the focusing rial right?

the one you showed me looks better thanks again

You will still need a head of some kind so you can get the camera pointed in the general direction. Up / down, pan left / right. This rail just lets you fine focus and center left to right. A head is still needed. But can be any head really. You could get away without a head by adjusting the legs but that would be a pain.

i've seen two types of rails:

Some are designed so that the camera slides freely until knobs lock into place via a clamp. Some are designed with two knobs. One knob turns a worm gear that can readjust the camera forward and backwards with precision with another knob to lock into place.

Personally (I'm not an expert in macro though), I would rather get the one that allows for precise adjustments via gearing. Like this one:

Velbon | Super Mag Slider | SMAGSLIDER | B&H Photo Video

over the ones linked above. You will need a head of some sort... i recommend a stable and precise 3 way head.

Most reactions

Back