Focusing screen repair/replacement options

Matt Friedman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just acquired a new (to me) Minolta XD-11. I love the XD-11, and this is my third and, by far, the best condition. It's super-clean, the metering is flawless, and the leatherette is like-new. The only problem is that the focusing screen in as dirty as hell -- in fact, it seems to be damaged and/or marked up. It's usable, but it's a little annoying since one of the great things about the XD-11 is its super-bright viewfinder.

So here is my question: Is it possible to have the focusing screen repaired or replaced? I know that Minolta sold replacement screens when this model was still supported (and Minolta still made cameras) and if I could acquire one (or cannibalize another camera), would it be possible to replace? I have never serviced an electronic SLR, although I have serviced the frame-advance mechanism in some older, mechanical Minolta SRTs. Is this something I want to get myself into, or is there a camera service that can do it for me?

In all other respects, this camera is absolutely perfect.

Minolta XD-11 Repair Manual (Page 4 of 56)

To remove the focusing screen, take out the two screws that hold the plate at the top of the mirror cage, Fig. 5. Lift out the cover plate and the focusing-screen retainer. You can now drop out the focusing screen from in side the mirror cage, Fig. 7.

Awesome! Thanks. I might send this camera out for a CLA, anyway (if I can find someone who does a good job for less than $100 in the NYC area), since it is starting to develop shutter lag. If they can do the screen replacement at the same time, that would be great.

Most reactions

Back