Focussing subject while blurring the background

Thanks for those useful links. I am getting good results now, but how to do it when the object is very close? For e.g. when taking out shots from 5 feets away.

Thanks for those useful links. I am getting good results now, but how to do it when the object is very close? For e.g. when taking out shots from 5 feets away.
The closer the object to you, and the farther the distance from the subject to the background, the greater the blur will be... So generally speaking, the closer you get to the subject, the more blur...

Hey guys ,
Thanks for your valuable advice on Focussing subject while blurring the background.
........ :)

Last edited:
I disagree, if you change the aperture you don't change what the sensor sees, if you change the focal length, you change what the lens sees... You get a completely different picture, rather than just selective blur, which is what you get by widening the aperture.

I agree with what you say but with a compact camera taking a standard shot will unlikely provide any blur. I advised providing the most magnification to get the shot you need and that means longest focal length and getting as close to the subject as possible as well as maximum aperture.

The closer the object to you, and the farther the distance from the subject to the background, the greater the blur will be... So generally speaking, the closer you get to the subject, the more blur...

Isn't that what I said? ;)

Most reactions

Back