Fog burn off for c&c

Carla_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How's this one? It was really pretty this morning with the fog burning off toward the mountains. Does the comp work? How can I make it better?

fog112111.jpg

TIA!

Carla

My advice for making landscape shots better is almost always the same thing. And I'm far from a landscape photographer, so take this with a grain of salt.

But there are 2 key rules to landscape photography, that in my experience seperate the good shots from the bad. The first being; you need something in the foreground. Having a foreground element is key to a good landscape photo more often than not. It doesn't need to be much, a few rocks. A tree. A bush. A lightpost. An animal. A car. A shed. Anything to add a foreground element will strengthen the photo if done properly.

The second thing is this: Most landscape photographers won't even pull the camera out of the bag unless it's golden hour. This is the time, either right at sunrise, or sunset, when the sun casts a golden glow over the land, and is at a low angle in the sky. It adds depth and character to the photo, and requires patience that most people don't have.

this is what i got with a couple minutes in photoshop
tpfhelpeditmountians1-1.jpg

Thanks for the fast responses.

How's this one? There is more foreground in it. It was completely fogged in during the golden hour. That was the best I could do this morning.

fogburnoff2112111.jpg

Marmots, thanks for the edit. Could you tell me what you did?

Thanks for the fast responses.

How's this one? There is more foreground in it. It was completely fogged in during the golden hour. That was the best I could do this morning.

It's not bad, but I think the foreground element is too large and distracting. Not to mention it's out of focus. You want to get a foreground subject in without blocking the mid and background elements. It can be tough to do, and sometimes a foreground element just isn't needed. Remember, rules are just a guide. There to help you learn, but meant to be broken at the same time.

Here's an example I just found on 500px of a good use of a foreground subject in a landscape. Without the branch and rocks, this would be a pretty boring photo that wouldn't keep your attention for long. The branch and rocks make you wish you were there. They draw you into the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back