Fog/shop lights?

Sunnylee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey I am not a professional photographer. I just want to get some lights so I can take better pictures. I was thinking that I could just buy some fog or shop lights, think that would work ok? Any other ideas?

I really don't even know what to search for when looking online. Is there a special name or would I just type in professional photography lights?

Any advice is much appreciated, I want to be a suicide girl so I need to start practicing taking picture sets, although I will probably hire a pro when I am ready.

From my experience I bought some shop lights just to use as some backdrop lighting. The problem that I ran into is that they are extremely yellow. If using a flash this develops into a problem since its difficult to make the transition of the "flash" light and the shop light.

I'm not for sure what you have for equipment, but I would definitely rec. off camera flash if it is possible. You should definitely check out the strobist for some great direction on lighting. Hope that helps.

the other BIG problem with shop lights, is they are damn hot, i tried them for 1 shoot, and my model just ended up sweating a LOT.. the yellow is also very annoying

Flashes bug me alot, and since this is just for personal use I don't wanna spend alot of money. I've been reading other forums trying to learn what I can. If it wouldn't cost too much I would like to find a small lighting setup on amazon or something.

Do you have an idea for a budget? That might help some people point you in the right direction.

"Wouldn't cost TO MUCH" is different for everyone. ;)

I would say under $500, 100-200 even better.

Flashes bug me alot, and since this is just for personal use I don't wanna spend alot of money. I've been reading other forums trying to learn what I can. If it wouldn't cost too much I would like to find a small lighting setup on amazon or something.

Why? Because you don't know how to use them?

Strobist: Lighting 101

I want to be a suicide girl so I need to start practicing taking picture sets, although I will probably hire a pro when I am ready.
What? Is a suicide girl?

Model. Photogs have to be nearly retarded to shoot for the company as you sign a contract saying you won't shoot for the competition for a certain length of time, not describing what the competition is. I believe they got sued over that.

What is a suicide girl????
Urbandictionary.com is your friend!

1.a webcommunity started by Missy Suicide, as a haven for the women of subcult to do artsy pin-ups. Peirced, tatooed, dyed and otherwise subculture girls coming together to take nude pictures. Recognized by playboy, Rolling Stones, and high end celebraties, its becoming a (somewhat) underground phenomena.

and also Definition 3:Suicide Girls
SuicideGirls is a website that features erotica and text profiles of goth, punk, and emo -styled young women who themselves are known as the "SuicideGirls". It also functions as an online community with member profiles and message boards, and features interviews with major figures in popular and alternative culture. Access to most of the site requires a paid membership. Many similarly themed websites have since appeared elsewhere on the world wide web.
Missy Suicide was the founder.

And yo the original poster: it's too bad flashes "bug you", because hot lights are a tremendous,tremendous PITA to use for people photography. Hot, heavy, fire hazards, their color temperature does not mix well with window light or daylight,and their output is so low that shutter speeds are often fairly slow unless you have a TON of continuous light. Look into Adorama's Flash Point 320 model monolight flashes....they are sold very affordably, and are FAR better than the cheap junk sold under no-name brands on eBay or Amazon. You will want modeling lights to help you focus and to see what your lights are actually doing.

Last edited:
Flashes bug me because my eyes are just very sensitive to light, but off camera flashes might not be so bad.
I know about the contract but that doesn't concern me, I don't want to be a professional model, just a suicide girl as a personal and fun goal to acheive.
Thanks to everyone for the input :D

Flashes bug me because my eyes are just very sensitive to light, but off camera flashes might not be so bad.
I know about the contract but that doesn't concern me, I don't want to be a professional model, just a suicide girl as a personal and fun goal to acheive.
Thanks to everyone for the input :D

AKA, you don't know how to use them. Light makes photos. Hot lights makes crappy photos (normally), strobes make great photos (always).

I bought some shop lights just for the hell of it, they were only 20 bucks. The ones I got were not yellow at all, at least I didn't think so. I wasn't sure what to get at first, I just went to Zombie mart and looked in the car section, they had a few choices like LED lights and what not but then if you go into the lighting section they have those long tube lights and they are specifically called shop lights so that is what I got.
I'm sure they are crappy compared to proessional lighting but I think with just one more I can really open up my photo taking possibities.

Most reactions

Back